Bumble foot on baby chick?

Salt Creek Coops

Songster
Jun 1, 2020
I noticed this little girl laying around in the grass while the others ran around her. She will sort of hop on one leg to get around but definitely not unless she has to. There was a piece of shaving in her foot. I pulled it out and cleaned it well. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions are great!

Attachments

• 30929D20-1F3D-4029-8909-AC98F4E6DCD6.jpeg
    30929D20-1F3D-4029-8909-AC98F4E6DCD6.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 53
@Wyorp Rock @azygous

Maybe separate her into a box, or dog kennel with some towels on the bottom for a softer floor while it heals. Do you have any vetwrap?
I don’t have any vetwrap. I could put her in a kennel tho! The other brooder house is so far from her sisters. She just cries and is already exhausted. It’s hot here in Texas I don’t want her to be stressed extra.

I noticed this little girl laying around in the grass while the others ran around her. She will sort of hop on one leg to get around but definitely not unless she has to. There was a piece of shaving in her foot. I pulled it out and cleaned it well. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions are great!
Can you get some clearer photos? Is that just stuck on debris or is the foot mushy from infection?

Seems to be blistered or something. I couldn’t get my phone camera to focus very well. I can try again in the morning.
Would like to see more photos, but if it looks blistered, then I would clean the foot with hibiclens (chlorhexidine) or betadine. Dry it, then apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment. Put a little gauze pad over the ointment, then wrap the foot.

It's best to keep them on clean dry bedding even with the foot wrapped, but if she's really stressed and you have the foot wrapped, then consider putting her back with her group for the night or near her group with maybe another docile chick so she will settle down.
Heat is not good on chicks, so see that she's able to get to water and is staying hydrated.

Would like to see more photos, but if it looks blistered, then I would clean the foot with hibiclens (chlorhexidine) or betadine. Dry it, then apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment. Put a little gauze pad over the ointment, then wrap the foot.

It's best to keep them on clean dry bedding even with the foot wrapped, but if she's really stressed and you have the foot wrapped, then consider putting her back with her group for the night or near her group with maybe another docile chick so she will settle down.
Heat is not good on chicks, so see that she's able to get to water and is staying hydrated.
I cleaned it and put her back for the night. I’ll clean again and put ointment on her in the morning. I think putting her in a crate inside the coop will be best. She will have her food and water and clean bedding AND her sisters. Lol thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom