Bumble foot

In the photo you posted on January 25, the toes were even darker than the other skin, and they did look like typical frostbitten toes. But you called your patient a chick. Was frostbite even possible? I.e. was the chick still on supplemental heat, possibly exposed to freezing weather, etc?

When did he lose his toes? Do you have a current picture?
No he has never been out side accept for one time and he had already had the foot problem and was only out side for 2 minutes at most

They are gone now, but those toes definitely looked necrotic.
How is the rest of his foot now, if the toes are gone, I am betting there is still some infection / rot still there that will need to be taken care of asap before it takes the rest of the leg / goes systemic and he dies.

When you can, please post pictures so we can see exactly what the current condition is and people can give you better advice.,

Aaron

One of my EEs gets bumblefoot often. I think its due to her size. What has always worked best was soaking it in epsom salt for as long as she'll let me then applying neospiron and wrapping it. After a few days it softens and comes out easier.
I have a Sussex and she's the same, quite a big chicken and quite old. We use exactly this to sort out her bumblefoot and it works well :)

No he has never been out side accept for one time and he had already had the foot problem and was only out side for 2 minutes at most
Ok that is very surprising, but there is more than one way for a bird to lose toes due to necrosis. For example there was a fairly recent thread where a (wild) pigeon lost a foot due to having a rubber band wrapped and entangled around its leg. There are also some (Very rare) disorders that could also cause loss of blood supply and lead to necrosis.

However your silkie lost its toes, the treatment protocol is generally the same. I'll skip the "before" protocol since you are past that. Immediately after toes fall off, keep the live tissue at the terminal end clean, dry and medicated until the exposed live tissue scabs over and heals. Triple antibiotic ointment or veterycin spray is what most people use. I googled "Corona antibiotic" and all I got was info about covid19. 🙄

How long ago did the toes fall off? There shouldn't be any great concern for infection taking hold Unless the chick lives on soiled bedding. Keeping the bedding clean is paramount so that bacteria aren't introduced into the live tissue. Even though keeping the healing foot Unwrapped while it heals is preferred, wrapping Very loosely is ok if that's what it takes to keep the healing live tissue clean.

Auto-amputation is a mostly internal process that does an amazing job of sealing and separating live tissue from necrotic in order to prevent infection. With a little help from his human (you), your Silkie boy should be fine.

Ok that is very surprising, but there is more than one way for a bird to lose toes due to necrosis. For example there was a fairly recent thread where a (wild) pigeon lost a foot due to having a rubber band wrapped and entangled around its leg. There are also some (Very rare) disorders that could also cause loss of blood supply and lead to necrosis.

However your silkie lost its toes, the treatment protocol is generally the same. I'll skip the "before" protocol since you are past that. Immediately after toes fall off, keep the live tissue at the terminal end clean, dry and medicated until the exposed live tissue scabs over and heals. Triple antibiotic ointment or veterycin spray is what most people use. I googled "Corona antibiotic" and all I got was info about covid19. 🙄

How long ago did the toes fall off? There shouldn't be any great concern for infection taking hold Unless the chick lives on soiled bedding. Keeping the bedding clean is paramount so that bacteria aren't introduced into the live tissue. Even though keeping the healing foot Unwrapped while it heals is preferred, wrapping Very loosely is ok if that's what it takes to keep the healing live tissue clean.

Auto-amputation is a mostly internal process that does an amazing job of sealing and separating live tissue from necrotic in order to prevent infection. With a little help from his human (you), your Silkie boy should be fine.

Screenshot_20220331-145659_Google.jpg
this

He was inside with heat lamp
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something, but how did a chick get frostbite so bad that he's losing his feet if you have them inside under a heat lamp? That's just not possible. I'm not sure where you're from, but I raise Silkies in northern Minnesota and I've only ever had one get frostbite- and it was because he spent hours sitting in the snow alone after a mink took his mama and siblings.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something, but how did a chick get frostbite so bad that he's losing his feet if you have them inside under a heat lamp? That's just not possible. I'm not sure where you're from, but I raise Silkies in northern Minnesota and I've only ever had one get frostbite- and it was because he spent hours sitting in the snow alone after a mink took his mama and siblings.
He didn't its not frostbite is what I'm trying to tell you

In the photo you posted on January 25, the toes were even darker than the other skin, and they did look like typical frostbitten toes. But you called your patient a chick. Was frostbite even possible? I.e. was the chick still on supplemental heat, possibly exposed to freezing weather, etc?

When did he lose his toes? Do you have a current picture?
A few weeks ago

OP never said it was frostbite. In fact they clarified the chick had never been exposed to cold weather. Other issues can lead to necrotic toes. You are making an incorrect assumption.

What ever happened, is water under the bridge at this point.
What we need is to move forward.

We need current pictures so we can tell what the current state of the foot is, to give you proper advice.

On those lines, some filling info too. Is it pussy / still pussy? (edit- pus - ie, full of pus) Does it smell, is it swollen?
Is it scabbed, does the chick seem to be in extreme pain? Things like that will greatly help figure something out here.

Also, what current I guess you could call it, housing conditions is the lil bird in?

Thank you
Aaron

Back
Top Bottom