Bumblefoot ‍♀️ Help!

keljo722

Chirping
May 6, 2019
Hey y’all.. I have a pekin duck that is 7months old that has Bumblefoot. We have done the antibiotics since June. Fast forward to August my grandpa was in the hospital so I was exactly getting her, her meds on time/ soaking it twice a day.
(At this point I didn’t know I should’ve been wrapping it.) ‍♀️♀️ So on sept 9th I took her to the vet and had them cut it open. When she came out of surgery it looked like they just cut it open. but I did notice that instead of cutting around the scab they just cut a straight line.

It’s now been 9 days... still on antibiotics and pain meds. I soak it get twice a day in epson salt then I clean it off with an alcohol wipe and put some green goo salve on it. I then put some guys on it and wrap it with vet tape. It seems to be getting better... BUT when i pull the scab off ( cause some times there is black spots on it and what looks like yellow infection) it looks like the second picture. But I don’t know what if it tissue or infection. I see some white stuff in there and I want to get it out but I’m nerve the it could be tendons in her toe.
Can y’all check it out and let me know your thoughts. I would take her back to the vet but in about $500.00 into this.. and what to give it more time to see if the green goo will pull out the infection.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 99BAE2B0-727B-4C32-9E38-88C61F78F85C.jpeg
    99BAE2B0-727B-4C32-9E38-88C61F78F85C.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 8F0D035F-6F9D-4D1A-9FA8-AC5D1C946E61.jpeg
    8F0D035F-6F9D-4D1A-9FA8-AC5D1C946E61.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 19
Hey y’all.. I have a pekin duck that is 7months old that has Bumblefoot. We have done the antibiotics since June. Fast forward to August my grandpa was in the hospital so I was exactly getting her, her meds on time/ soaking it twice a day.
(At this point I didn’t know I should’ve been wrapping it.) ‍♀️♀️ So on sept 9th I took her to the vet and had them cut it open. When she came out of surgery it looked like they just cut it open. but I did notice that instead of cutting around the scab they just cut a straight line.

It’s now been 9 days... still on antibiotics and pain meds. I soak it get twice a day in epson salt then I clean it off with an alcohol wipe and put some green goo salve on it. I then put some guys on it and wrap it with vet tape. It seems to be getting better... BUT when i pull the scab off ( cause some times there is black spots on it and what looks like yellow infection) it looks like the second picture. But I don’t know what if it tissue or infection. I see some white stuff in there and I want to get it out but I’m nerve the it could be tendons in her toe.
Can y’all check it out and let me know your thoughts. I would take her back to the vet but in about $500.00 into this.. and what to give it more time to see if the green goo will pull out the infection.

Thank you.

@Miss Lydia

It looks like the swelling may be from trauma now from surgery leave it scab over an heal put triple antibiotic or silver sulfadiene over then cover with non stick pad and a wrap with vet wrap going up over ankle to keep her from getting it off. Duck booties work well too keep her out of water till healed in the second pic it looks good and cleaned out.

It looks like the swelling may be from trauma now from surgery leave it scab over an heal put triple antibiotic or silver sulfadiene over then cover with non stick pad and a wrap with vet wrap going up over ankle to keep her from getting it off. Duck booties work well too keep her out of water till healed in the second pic it looks good and cleaned out.

Awesome! Thank you so much. I’ll go get some silver sulfadiene. I’ve been looking at duck booties but it say they take 4-6 weeks to get them. I wasn’t sold on the ones from amazon... have you hear anything about those?

you can make some booties. Take a piece of cardboard in the shape of your duck's foot then put vet wrap around it. Or... if you've got one of those flat coozies you can make one out of that.

This was my experiment so it's not perfect but make the top part bigger than the bottom and sew them together. Use either velcro at the top or just vet wrap.
IMG_0843.JPG

you can make some booties. Take a piece of cardboard in the shape of your duck's foot then put vet wrap around it. Or... if you've got one of those flat coozies you can make one out of that.

This was my experiment so it's not perfect but make the top part bigger than the bottom and sew them together. Use either velcro at the top or just vet wrap. View attachment 1912719
Hey you start making them I’ll be a customer. Mine I got from crazy k farms but dirt can get in through the toe holes!

Hey you start making them I’ll be a customer. Mine I got from crazy k farms but dirt can get in through the toe holes!
I left holes for the nails in that one but they are not big enough. In fact, this whole bootie isn't big enough but it was my first one and I've learned that the top has to be bigger, much bigger. I never did get around to putting the velcro on it. I think this one would be good for a young duckling but certainly not for a grown duck. I was not smart and did a tracing of one of my duck's foot and based it totally on that which ended up way too small. I am NOT a seamstress by any stretch!

I know they sell some that have toe holes and some that are closed all the way.

This was my experiment so it's not perfect but make the top part bigger than the bottom and sew them together. Use either velcro at the top or just vet wrap. View attachment 1912719

This is amazing. Thank you so much. I’ll be getting to work. I’ll post pictures.

Back
Top Bottom