Bumblefoot and Depressed?

Cregg McMuffin

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
My Coop
My Coop
Our 2 year old magpie, Averman, has had Bumblefoot for a couple weeks now. It's a moderate case, so we have been doing soaks, epsom salt, iodine, neosporin, etc. for the last week and a half. Nothing has substantially changed with the sore. She can walk fine, just slowly and is generally disinterested. She also hasn't been eating normal food, mostly treats. As of a couple days ago she has largely stopped eating altogether except for the occasional snack. She has lost about 11 oz (2lb 13oz down to 2lb 2oz). She lives with 2 other ducks that she has only seen once in 10 days. Is it possible that this recent drop in appetite/eating habits is due to her missing her friends? Should we let them hang out some to get her spirits back up?

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_114347727.jpg
    IMG_20200329_114347727.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 2
:welcome

Could you post a picture of the sore? Ducks are flock animals so isolating her from the flock is definitely going to bring her spirits down, I think letting her see her friends for a little bit wouldn't be a bad idea. If what your doing isn't working with the bumblefoot you could try Baytril.

My duck has bumblefoot which I've been treating for a couple of weeks. I just wrap the foot really well and let her return to the run with the other ducks. It works fine.

Surely. Thanks for everyone's input thus far. I believe the attached pic would be a moderate case. It was taken today and looks basically the same as when we saw it 10 days ago. From what I read it may take a few weeks to clear.

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_114347727.jpg
    IMG_20200329_114347727.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 5
Have you tried to peel tha scab off to get the infection out? Not cutting just softening up the scab so you can gently pull it off that way you can get the infection our wrap an send her on her way just keep her out of water till healed.

Back
Top Bottom