Bumblefoot and drawing salve?

mmaddie's mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Elmwood, Illinois, USA
I have never had bumblefoot but have been reading alot about it. For you old-timers (no offense) out there, has anyone ever tried a drawing salve? I grew up with a home-made drawing salve (recipe passed down for generations) that I think would be perfect for this problem. For those of you who are not familiar with a drawing salve/black salve, it "draws" out any foreign object in the body... ie. splinter, infection, bee sting or bug bite poison, glass sliver, cat-fish spine, etc., etc.

Opinion, anyone?

Last edited:
Drawing salve needs to be covered and held in place...

This is a great video about how to bandage a chicken foot... because the audio on my computer is not working, I have NO idea what she is saying but think the bandaging technique looks great.
thumbsup.gif

http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2009/09/bumblefoot-chicken.html

Quote:
YES, my wife went to Walgreen's and asked for Drawing Salve because I wanted to use it in treating my girls bumblefoot. The lady at Walgreen's told her that you can't get it anymore so she sold her something else. When she got home I said "POPPY-COCK!!" So I went down to CVS Pharmacy and their on the shelf they had Icthamol (Drawing Salve".
I use it after the Epson Salt soak - Tricide-Neo - soaks before I wrap it up I put the drawing salve on, AND IT WORKS!!

It was suggested to us by a federally licensed wildlife rehabilitator and we had good luck as well! It was at CVS and we used it after the epsom salt soak...glad to see it posted as I had NEVER heard of a drawing salve.

This is really interesting! So how exactly do u use a drawing salve? Do u just put it on the wound and then cover it up? Or put it on for a few minutes and then wipe it off? I would really like to try this on one of my girls who has bumbles.

Back
Top Bottom