Bumblefoot....help

sianybaby23

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 8, 2011
Hi

Two of my chooks have bumblefoot, last night i proceeded to soak clean and get the scabs off
One was very well behaved and the other not so much, cant blame her though as probably not a very comfortable experience
I managed to get both scabs off, but nothing came out, i have poulticed both and bandaged them and keeping them away from the others in a clean dry environment

Should anything have come out when the scabs came off? lots of websites say there should be puss, but the scabs just left a hole and obviously a bit of hard swelling underneath???
I will be checking them again when return from work to see if the poultice has drawn anything out and to re clean them and re bandage

Any advise will be appreciated

Thanks

There is a great thread on bumblefoot. Google "bumblefoot" at the top of the page, and you'll find losts of advice. There should have been a hard yellowish-whitish core in there. Perhaps it came out with the scab? You're going to need to put neosporin in there, as bumblefoot is a staph infection, and can be VERY hard to get rid of. BTW, I had a hen with BF 2 summers ago, and she is fine now. Just keep after it!

Oh,
frow.gif
and a warm
welcome-byc.gif
from SE Pa.

HTH

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, yes on one of them, the yellowish, core was attached, but on the other one only the scab????

Whats is neosporin??? and where can you get it???

I have a horse and i've been dipping into his vet box for antiseptic creams/sprays and the vet wrap

I'm hoping when i get back tonight the poultice should have drawn anything left in there out, so should just be a matter of cleaning and spraying and then just a plain bandage tonight, well fingers crossed

Most threads i have read have all been good endings so i hope the same will be for ours too.

Neosporin is an antibiotic. You can get it at any drugstore. Just make sure it doesn't have the pain reliever in. Also, the ointment is better (IMO) than the cream. It kind of leaves a barrier, where the cream sinks in. Again, JMHO

Quote:
Thanks very much, i just googled it and looks similar to the stuff i got off the vet for the horse, but might go via a chemist on the way home and see if i can get any
Im slightly concerned about the swelling on the bottom of the pad though, will it ever go down??

Sorry this is the first medical issue we have had with our chickens since getting them a few years back, and although i have dealt with many animal injuries over the years, this is the first with them and i think i'm panicking a bit

Yes, when you get all the infection out, it will go down, and will heal over. You won't even be able to tell there was anything there. Remember, the skin on their feet is very tough.
Check their roosts, and make sure there are no splinters there. That's ususlly where it comes from. Or they might have stepped on something. Staph is EVERYWHERE chickens are, so any time there is a scrape, or any kind of injury where the skin gets broken, there is a possibility of them getting staph. I had a chicken get her head caught Lord knows where, and got staph on her head. I got the core out, kept neosporin on it, and she healed over perfectly, including all the feathers grew back. She had torn her skin away from her head, and it healed, so don't give up!

Quote:
Thanks so much, yes I've done a clean sweep of the coop and run, and cant find anything, although they get the run of the garden and could have picked something up there!
I'm sure they will be fine, they seem happy enough, especially getting all this extra fuss
Thanks again, i will try and send an update after i have checked them later this evening

Much appreciated

Right the update of last night

Our ginger one, her hole was clean and still open (well its pin head size) and seemed quite happy, gave her foot another soak and put some more antiseptic on it and re bandaged

The black one her hole was a lot bigger to start with, but removing her bandage it had closed up with the black seal again (i think the poultice wasn't wet enough), so have re-soaked, removed a bit more gunk, put more antiseptic on and re-poulticed and bandaged

The ginger one still has a large swelling on her pad and the black one's swelling seems to have deflated a bit

So now a bit confused. Worried that the ginger one's hole is so small there might be stuff i cant remove, and the black one i poked around so much that it bled, but i didn't want it to close up again with that black seal (and her hole is quite big though so actually easier to make sure everything is gone)

Back
Top Bottom