Bumblefoot in a Silver Appleyard duck

Back out with her buds! She'll come inside again tonight but she sure enjoys it when I take her out.
P1300572.JPG

Miss Hailey is soaking now. I was poking around at her foot before I put her in, and the scab came off! Perfectly healthy tissue underneath, and no blood or oozy bits. I don't see any infection at all left.

After this soak I think I'm going to put her back outside and keep the wrap on for a while longer, until that hole has filled entirely with tissue. I would love to keep her inside for a lot longer, but I'm chopped liver compared to her ducky friends... sigh.

Miss Hailey is soaking now. I was poking around at her foot before I put her in, and the scab came off! Perfectly healthy tissue underneath, and no blood or oozy bits. I don't see any infection at all left.

After this soak I think I'm going to put her back outside and keep the wrap on for a while longer, until that hole has filled entirely with tissue. I would love to keep her inside for a lot longer, but I'm chopped liver compared to her ducky friends... sigh.
:celebrate:wee:woot

As promised, bandaging step-by-step...

Hailey's foot
IMG_20180127_195058.jpg

I put a thick layer of antibiotic ointment on.
IMG_20180127_195210.jpg

1/4th of a gauze pad.
IMG_20180127_195229.jpg

This is how I position the vetwrap to start; right under the back toe, halfway across the web. I am not sure how long it is, I just eyeball a duck-foot sized amount. :oops:
IMG_20180127_195302.jpg

Wrap gets continued to the other side and a triangle sized amount pinched shut to allow for the angle change.
IMG_20180127_195324.jpg

Wrap continued to the other side, then pinched shut. I find tweezers work best for making it stick to itself the most.
IMG_20180127_195342.jpg

Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
As promised, bandaging step-by-step...

Hailey's foot
View attachment 1248459
I put a thick layer of antibiotic ointment on.
View attachment 1248457
1/4th of a gauze pad.
View attachment 1248455
This is how I position the vetwrap to start; right under the back toe, halfway across the web. I am not sure how long it is, I just eyeball a duck-foot sized amount. :oops:
View attachment 1248452
Wrap gets continued to the other side and a triangle sized amount pinched shut to allow for the angle change.
View attachment 1248447
Wrap continued to the other side, then pinched shut. I find tweezers work best for making it stick to itself the most.
View attachment 1248444 View attachment 1248444
Does that make any sense?

Fantastic!:)

Also, is this the Bumblefoot foot? Looks good to me!
Thank you for all the photos and keeping up with the thread, I've learned a lot and I'm sure it will be very helpful to others in the future.

Back
Top Bottom