Bumblefoot in a Silver Appleyard duck

Pics
I posted this in a different thread too, hope that is ok...

One of My Cayugas started limping last week, and eventually was using her wings to help her get up. I didn't notice any swelling, give them extra brewers yeast and Kale (although i don't think it was a niacin deficiency...They are 9 months old and have been getting brewers yeast regularly) and sprinkling turmeric on their food now. It seemed to get better at first, but this morning again she used her wings to help herself stand up. The leg, but not foot looks a little swollen. I'm wondering if she could have slipped and sprained it (it's near impossible to keep their pen free of snow and some ice.) or if it could be bumble foot, even though it is her leg and not her foot that is a bit swollen. She is a bit skittish, so not easily caught if I do have to get her. Trying all the necessary precautions before having to scare her and give her Epson salt soaks. I had a duckling with a broken leg months ago that we had to pin and splint, and she kind started out this way...so I'm hoping it sounds more like a strain. Thoughts

If you think it is strained, the best thing you can do is give the leg a rest by confining her. Do you have a dog crate? I would touch the injured leg and compare it to her non-injured leg to see if it feels hot. If it feels hotter, then it is infected and she won’t get better until she’s on antibiotics and probably needs to see a vet.

I posted this in a different thread too, hope that is ok...

One of My Cayugas started limping last week, and eventually was using her wings to help her get up. I didn't notice any swelling, give them extra brewers yeast and Kale (although i don't think it was a niacin deficiency...They are 9 months old and have been getting brewers yeast regularly) and sprinkling turmeric on their food now. It seemed to get better at first, but this morning again she used her wings to help herself stand up. The leg, but not foot looks a little swollen. I'm wondering if she could have slipped and sprained it (it's near impossible to keep their pen free of snow and some ice.) or if it could be bumble foot, even though it is her leg and not her foot that is a bit swollen. She is a bit skittish, so not easily caught if I do have to get her. Trying all the necessary precautions before having to scare her and give her Epson salt soaks. I had a duckling with a broken leg months ago that we had to pin and splint, and she kind started out this way...so I'm hoping it sounds more like a strain. Thoughts
Hailey started her case like that, with only a limp but no sign of bumblefoot. That's why I didn't catch it for a while, I thought she had slipped on the ice or something. Good luck!

20180124_115400.jpg
here is a pic of the underneath of her foot...hard to see but it looks like there is a little blister. The other pic is of how she has been laying down. Hoping the overlapped wings is just from her using them to help her stand up
I won't be going in to town until later today to be able to get Epsom salt and iodine, and won't get home til late tonight. Do you think she will be ok til tomorrow to soak it. Also, we decided we will keep her indoors for afew days after that too. Would that be alright? I have heard of it really stressing out the duck being away from its flock, but with the cold weather and icy yard, I don't really want her out there trying to stay dry and keep a wrap on her foot on the snow. One good thing about having a great Dane who refuses to use her kennel is we have a nice sized indoor duck pen now

Attachments

• 20180124_110729.jpg
    20180124_110729.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
@BreInFlannel when you get her inside before the soak can you take a picture of the bottom of her foot? like this:
397944_304713319570584_173382679370316_811793_924984746_n.jpg

-google image result

Here is a closer pic of her foot. I got her in an Epsom salt bath and once she was in, she just chilled. Sat in there 20 minutes with no complaints. It must have felt great. Tried to get a wrap on it, but it slipped off right away. Maybe I didn't wrap it tight enough. I'm just gonna let her chill the night without it though
20180124_173414.jpg
20180124_175425.jpg

Back
Top Bottom