Bumblefoot in one foot, possible in other, need help!

She's got another bumble. I was doctoring her foot tonight, and I noticed that next to the lovely pink scab from yesterday's removal, there's an identical ugly black bumble. I can't doctor it tonight, but will be tomorrow. It's not severe, but it just popped up out of nowhere overnight.
@Wyorp Rock @azygous

Have you investigated to determine how these foot injuries are happening? This is just as important as bumblefoot treatment.

Years ago, I discovered four out of five of my Welsummer pullets had bumblefoot, and it wasn't minor. I looked over the coop inside and pictured them hopping off their perch which was about 30 inches high. Due to the pop hole on the coop being right behind the perch, I couldn't build elevated poop boards, so they were lying on the floor. The pullets were hopping directly down onto the hard boards and injuring their foot pads.

I got out the tools and lowered the perches and got rid of the poop boards, having a thick cushion of shavings underneath. The bumblefoot healed and never came back.

Have you investigated to determine how these foot injuries are happening? This is just as important as bumblefoot treatment.

Years ago, I discovered four out of five of my Welsummer pullets had bumblefoot, and it wasn't minor. I looked over the coop inside and pictured them hopping off their perch which was about 30 inches high. Due to the pop hole on the coop being right behind the perch, I couldn't build elevated poop boards, so they were lying on the floor. The pullets were hopping directly down onto the hard boards and injuring their foot pads.

I got out the tools and lowered the perches and got rid of the poop boards, having a thick cushion of shavings underneath. The bumblefoot healed and never came back.
I'm using deep litter in their coop, so I don't think it's a roost injury. She and my other two girls free range all day. We have a lot of pine trees in our yard, and when we had the freak ice storm last month a lot of branches and cones snapped off. I'm thinking she might be stepping on the cones.

Also, I just remembered that my brother accidentally broke one of the bulbs on our string lights in our yard. Of course, I fussed at him because there's no telling if the chickens will step on the glass shards. I cleaned up the glass as well as I could, but it's in grass in a really uneven terrain.

The lights look like this: (stock photo)
external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

Do you have one of those little "dust busters"? I've used those to clean up stuff like that, and they work pretty well. The bigger danger with glass shards is that he chickens could eat them thiking they're grit, and they would do nasty things to the intestines.

Do you have one of those little "dust busters"? I've used those to clean up stuff like that, and they work pretty well. The bigger danger with glass shards is that he chickens could eat them thiking they're grit, and they would do nasty things to the intestines.
I don't, unfortunately. I'll probably end up digging up the spot and putting the dirt behind the shed, then filling in the hole.

Back
Top Bottom