Bumblefoot --> loss of muscle tone?!

StPaulieGirls

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 14, 2007
Hutchinson, MN
Hi friends,
We've got a year-old Ancona duck female who we've been treating for mild bumblefoot for 5 days. We're doing Epsom salts and Tricide Neo soaks twice daily.
The bumbles never got huge or nasty, so we didn't debride them.
This morning, the bumbles look better BUT her right leg has no muscle tone at all and not much nerve response. What has happened?! Can the staph destroy her leg like that? Could she have wrecked a tendon, ligament or nerve by limping? We've had her separated in a clean crate during this treatment period.
I thought things were going in the right direction, but that right leg is now totally floppy from the hock joint down. I also notice that her poops turned watery and dark green, like she's starving, even though she's got access to food.
SOOOOOooooo frustrated.
Please let me know if you've seen anything like this, and if you think the damage might be permanent.
Thanks, y'all,
Kerri in MN

A vet isn't an option, I'm afraid. The only avian vet within a 3-hour drive isn't accepting new clients. We also don't have the money to spend.

Would a dislocation make the whole leg and foot floppy? She may have dislocated it by limping/dragging the leg, or worse, maybe I did something to dislocate it?

It's such a shame, because the bumblefoot is clearing up with daily soaks, but now she seems to have lost this leg.

😥

Do you think you could post a few pictures of the bumblefoot, and include a few pictures/videos of her legs by chance?
If her droppings are scant, and watery that is a good indicator she is not eating as much as she should be. Excluding the chance she is eating greens, seeing green droppings can be due to biliverdin in the stool due to an anorexic state.
In that case, it would be a good idea to bring her inside, or set her somewhere you can thoroughly examine her for any abnormalities. Weighing her on a gram scale each morning is an accurate weight to determine if there is weight loss occurring, and whether to tube feed. The link below discusses what specifically to look for:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry
1623794909910.png

On a general basis, if the bumblefoot infection has spread up her leg, the area would be considerably swollen, and red; if the lesions are mild, it is unlikely it has spread all the way up her leg causing atrophic lesions. There are many possibilities as to what could be causing this so more information would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom