Bumblefoot? Mites? or something else??! Please help :(

OpalRaven7

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Poughkeepsie

I found my silkie rooster's feet like this yesterday :( What could this be how did it happen and HOW DO I FIX IT!!!??? Please any advice is welcome. I am running to tractor supply soon to look for supplies, if someone could tell me what supplies I am looking for that would be GREAT! lol

It looks like scaly leg mites which can be hard to notice in feather footed birds. Are his feet swollen to you? Gout and MS can cause swollen feet, but so can bumblefoot. Since they are so dry I can't see any bumblefoot, but maybe after soaking his feet in soapy water, any dark spots on the bottom of the feet would show up in a picture. I would start washing the feet in soapy water with a soft toothbrush once a week, and then apply vaseline, castor oil, or cooking oil to his feet and legs, rubbing the oil under the scales. This takes many weeks to get rid of mites. The coop needs to be cleaned out and sprayed with a mite killer.

Ok his feet are severely infected :/ we are squeezing out so much gunk from them!! What else should I be doing for him???

Back
Top Bottom