Bumblefoot on Duck

Nov 19, 2019
NW New Jersey
Hey everyone. I noticed yesterday that my duck was limping and favoring one foot over another. Today I caught her and took a few picks of her feet to see what was wrong. I think that she has bumblefoot. The foot isn't hot, but there is a hard, dark scab on one of her toes. Anyone have any idea what to do? Should I cut it open and clean it out or bandage it? Thanks.
20201211_125246.jpg 20201211_125237.jpg

I would first try soaking the foot in either an Epsom salt or chlorhexidine mixture, to loosen the scab on her middle digit toe, then try to peel it off with a pair of tweezers, or/ if needed a scalpel. You can then apply an ointment to the area like Silver Silvadene cream, wrap gauze around, and bandage.

There are a few more areas, that appear swelled, but it doesn't look too far developed where surgery would be needed. In addition to soaking, and bandaging the foot, you can apply to dilute DMSO to the sores to reduce swelling. If the swelling doesn't subside, it may need to be lanced, to allow penetration of the ointment being put on, and to excavate puss, or necrotic debris.

Bumblefoot can be brought on by several factors, but rough/unforgiving bedding that slowly degrades the plantar surface, resulting in flaking can cause bacteria to enter. Ensuring her pen area is soft, and free of things it may get poked on can reduce problems from happening again in the future. Often with heavyweight breeds, more emphasis needs to be put on providing such an environment.

I would first try soaking the foot in either an Epsom salt or chlorhexidine mixture, to loosen the scab on her middle digit toe, then try to peel it off with a pair of tweezers, or/ if needed a scalpel. You can then apply an ointment to the area like Silver Silvadene cream, wrap gauze around, and bandage.

There are a few more areas, that appear swelled, but it doesn't look too far developed where surgery would be needed. In addition to soaking, and bandaging the foot, you can apply to dilute DMSO to the sores to reduce swelling.

Bumblefoot can be brought on by several factors, but rough/unforgiving bedding that slowly degrades the plantar surface, resulting in flaking can cause bacteria to enter. Ensuring her pen area is soft, and free of things it may get poked on can reduce problem from happening again in the future.
Thanks. The only epsom salt I have on hand is scented with lavender. I'm thinking that's not safe, so do I have to buy new epsom salt then?

I'll have to pick up some plain epsom salt and triple antibiotic ointment then. How long should I soak her feet and how long to bandage them?

Since Epsom salts are a laxative, it would be best to watch her, and make sure she doesn't drink any of that water. As far as the time frame, try soaking her as long as you can, as that'll allow better softening of the scab. You'll want to keep the bandage on until the area is healed. When doing a bandage, ensure there is plenty of padding underneath the foot pad as that will encourage faster healing. I use gauze, but some vets will also use a pool noodle, and cut it out.

Since Epsom salts are a laxative, it would be best to watch her, and make sure she doesn't drink any of that water. As far as the time frame, try soaking her as long as you can, as that'll allow better softening of the scab. You'll want to keep the bandage on until the area is healed. When doing a bandage, ensure there is plenty of padding underneath the foot pad as that will encourage faster healing. I use gauze, but some vets will also use a pool noodle, and cut it out.
Is there any substitute to epsom salt? I don't think I can get any.

Back
Top Bottom