Bumblefoot or callous or something else?

KimBaello

Hatching
Mar 20, 2024
I have two pekin ducks that are eating/drinking/laying just fine but I noticed these dark areas /callouses on their feet. I've been doing Epsom salt baths the past few days and spraying/wrapping with blu kote antimicrobial but seeing no change. Wondering if any of these dark spots are bumblefoot or something else. I've tried peeling the dark spots after soaking, but really have nothing to peel as only one of them is raised (the big scaly one). In pictures I've seen online, there is usually a 'bulb' but I don't see one here. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Pekin leftfoot.jpg
    Pekin leftfoot.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Pekin right.jpg
    Pekin right.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Golden 300 right.jpg
    Golden 300 right.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Golden 300 left.jpg
    Golden 300 left.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 11
That huge place on the 'heal' for lack of a better word looks like overgrown skin soaking in the Epsom salt water might help . The other smaller places look like small wounds probably for walking around outside and could become bumble but with what your doing probably not.
:welcome

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/
Has it been cold where you live? What kind of floor do your ducks stand on? is there any metal?
We live in California (suburbs) and winter temps have been around 40s at night, 65 during the day. In the coop we use pine shavings. Their enclosure is built on a wood platform that my husband built to make emptying the pond much easier and less messy. They also have full access to our side yard which has dirt, pea gravel and bark/landscaping. I realize now that the surfaces may be too hard for their sensitive feet, so ive bought some booties that i hope will help.

That huge place on the 'heal' for lack of a better word looks like overgrown skin soaking in the Epsom salt water might help . The other smaller places look like small wounds probably for walking around outside and could become bumble but with what your doing probably not.
:welcome
Such a relief to know the big one on the pad is probably not bumble!
ok so not frostbite then -I just realized the reason it looks black. It’s probably the blue coat you’ve been spraying on it.
It did have some black before I started spraying it... Photo attached. It's soft tissue, feels like skin. But now I'm worried about pic 4. Attaching what that one looked like before i sprayed... No hard lump, just flat scabs and some swelling. Could those be bumble?

Attachments

• 20240317_173233.jpg
    20240317_173233.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240321_214808.jpg
    20240321_214808.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 3
and whether it is or not, I think the treatment would be the same so what you’re doing is great with the Epson salt soaks and applying an ointment after to keep it moist, some like Neosporin ))without any pain relief in it, )) and then bandage it with a gauze pad and wrap it with Vet wrap I would even invest in a pair of little duck booties. You can get on Amazon birdie, booties for chickens, and for ducks, and for geese, they are adorable and very helpful when necessary.. but here also is a product you can put on it and then wrap it and change the bandage every other day. Keep her out of water and mud. this Epson salt poultice should work for Bumblefoot and or for the dry skin calluses that might be what you’re dealing with.

Attachments

• 0E3C9ABF-E8FD-488D-812B-A90AE7664C49.jpeg
    0E3C9ABF-E8FD-488D-812B-A90AE7664C49.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom