Bumblefoot or callous?

carolinemann88

Hatching
Mar 26, 2024
IMG_1924.jpeg
Hi, 1st time duck owner. I have 6 8 wk old Cayuga ducks. Since they were 2 weeks old they all at same time got this growth on there foot pad. It does not seem like bumblefoot. It does not have a lump underneath, it’s not warm, it’s not really changing much in the last 6 weeks, and when I pull on a piece it has healthy pink flesh is underneath. It has no odor. I think it’s probably just a callous and treating 6 ducks is a large undertaking if it’s not infection. They do not seem lame or tender, they are very healthy. They get premium Mazuri food. I am new to ducks but very familiar with proper animal husbandry for multiple exotic animals. I only found 1 other thread that sounded exactly the same and there was no conclusion. I’m thinking about treating 1 duck and seeing if it goes away and if it does then possibly treating the rest. Any ideas what this is? They are on pine shavings g from tractor supply. Every 3-5 days I add a new layer of shavings but when they were duckling they got new bedding daily and no change.

Attachments

• IMG_1923.jpeg
    IMG_1923.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 2
Could be an ammonia burn? or a callous but if they are standing on wet pee bedding even if freshened every few days the ammonia can seep through. It does also look like it may be a callous so try soaking in warm Epsom salt water and keeping them on as clean and dry of bedding as you can to see if it makes any difference. Only thing that throughs me off to being a callous is all of them having it. Is it only one one of their feet or both?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-callus-or-bumblefoot-or-what.1524624/page-2

Could be an ammonia burn? or a callous but if they are standing on wet pee bedding even if freshened every few days the ammonia can seep through. It does also look like it may be a callous so try soaking in warm Epsom salt water and keeping them on as clean and dry of bedding as you can to see if it makes any difference. Only thing that throughs me off to being a callous is all of them having it. Is it only one one of their feet or both?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-callus-or-bumblefoot-or-what.1524624/page-2
It’s both feet at exact same location on all 6 of them. Amonia burn could make sense to me. They are free range all day but they often nap under the same tree in the grass which has pee and poop under it from them. I assumed that was pretty normal but should I be trying to adding bedding to all areas they nap? I guess I’m trying to figure out the normal degree of poop and pee…

It would be hard to keep up with trying to put down shavings I take the hose to the worst spots close enough I can reach the rest I let the rain take care of. But mine are out on half acre so they spread it around quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom