Bumblefoot or Just Scabs?

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
So, we treated on of our hens, Sam, for bumblefoot on Friday. We removed the ugly lump and she’s recovering well. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ate-potential-bumblefoot-please-help.1599909/)

Today, I was doing a general checkup and deworming each of our other chickens, and 2 of them had black spots on the bottom of their feet. They look much different than Sam’s, but much more like typical bumble foot I’m curious if they’re just healed scabs that don’t need any extra attention, or if they need to be removed. Neither of them are limping and otherwise seem healthy.

This was Sam’s foot:
IMG_8216.jpeg

(Now scabbed but it looks like a healthy scab)
IMG_8501.jpeg

This is Yuki (she has slate legs)
IMG_8476.jpeg

And Luna:
IMG_8475.jpeg

Thank you so much!

Those are also bumblefoot. The first one looks fairly shallow with little or no swelling, so if you remove the scab, clean it out good, hopefully it will heal up fine. The bottom one looks larger, deeper, and a little swollen. I would do the same. Soak them to soften them up, or apply decolorized iodine and wrap overnight to soften. Remove the scab, clean out any gunk underneath, and bandage til healed. Bumblefoot is not uncommon and can happen with even a very small injury to the foot, a splinter, small cut, etc. If you are having a lot of it, it could be roosts too high and they get small injuries from jumping down, or rough roosts causing splinters, or lots of sharp rocks where they roam. Any injury that will let bacteria in can be the start.

Those are also bumblefoot. The first one looks fairly shallow with little or no swelling, so if you remove the scab, clean it out good, hopefully it will heal up fine. The bottom one looks larger, deeper, and a little swollen. I would do the same. Soak them to soften them up, or apply decolorized iodine and wrap overnight to soften. Remove the scab, clean out any gunk underneath, and bandage til healed. Bumblefoot is not uncommon and can happen with even a very small injury to the foot, a splinter, small cut, etc. If you are having a lot of it, it could be roosts too high and they get small injuries from jumping down, or rough roosts causing splinters, or lots of sharp rocks where they roam. Any injury that will let bacteria in can be the start.
Alrighty, thank you!

So, we treated on of our hens, Sam, for bumblefoot on Friday. We removed the ugly lump and she’s recovering well. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ate-potential-bumblefoot-please-help.1599909/)

Today, I was doing a general checkup and deworming each of our other chickens, and 2 of them had black spots on the bottom of their feet. They look much different than Sam’s, but much more like typical bumble foot I’m curious if they’re just healed scabs that don’t need any extra attention, or if they need to be removed. Neither of them are limping and otherwise seem healthy.

This was Sam’s foot: View attachment 3650536
(Now scabbed but it looks like a healthy scab)
View attachment 3650547
This is Yuki (she has slate legs) View attachment 3650539
And Luna:
View attachment 3650540
Thank you so much!
I agree with @coach723 :)

Back
Top Bottom