Bumblefoot or something else?

Any idea the cause in your rooster for the twisted toes? Gout as others are suggesting above or something else?

Pipe cleaners are fairly flexible...not something more rigid, like a popsicle stick? What do you attach it with, like paper bandage tape?

She did seem to like her bath today, she immediately just sank and soaked. The hair dryer after...not so much. Certainly something can continue trying.

For those suggesting gout , looks like cause is underlying kidney damage. What is her expected quality of life? Just wondering if it’s best to end suffering in that case as it seems isn’t much one can do to help in that case?
It’s a shame that her background is unknown, it would definitely help to know how she was cared for. It’s up to you to decide if you think she has a quality of life, I personally won’t put a chicken down unless they have given up and I’ve run out of options but if you do decide to I recommend having a vet do it, it may cost a bit more but it’s a lot easier and IMO better but that’s just my preference as I could never kill my chickens, too emotionally attached.

Any idea the cause in your rooster for the twisted toes? Gout as others are suggesting above or something else?

Pipe cleaners are fairly flexible...not something more rigid, like a popsicle stick? What do you attach it with, like paper bandage tape?

She did seem to like her bath today, she immediately just sank and soaked. The hair dryer after...not so much. Certainly something can continue trying.

For those suggesting gout , looks like cause is underlying kidney damage. What is her expected quality of life? Just wondering if it’s best to end suffering in that case as it seems isn’t much one can do to help in that case?
Hmm.... i thought she would enjoy it, because of the warm water. i guess not. you can always make a little chicken sling like this to get the weight off. image0 (3).jpeg
(from Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens)
image1 (3).jpeg
(from Chicken Health Handbook)

Update: At least her crop emptied last night so that concern is gone! Also I noticed her comb is a little redder today.

Tried her soak in warm water again today. Was all good until one of our cats pushed the door open, then she was alert and not wanting to sit down (understandable, though our cats are great with chickens and wouldn’t harm her, though she doesn’t know that). Tried wrapping the pipe cleaner under her foot, took a few tries but succeeded. May be just wishful thinking but comparing to the pics from yesterday looks like the swelling might be down a bit.

Reading on gout seems you want lower calcium and lower protein diet...what kind of feed should I get her then? The layer has calcium but the grower/starter has higher protein...Is there another feed option I’m not aware of??

Took a bit of convincing today, but she’s finally accepting and enjoying bath time (or at least has decided to nap through it). Had to hang a towel over her so she doesn’t think she can jump out of the tub. I notice she tends to keep her feet curled up tight.

Attachments

• 9F4E277E-E35D-4C22-AA12-ABC61D491A21.jpeg
    9F4E277E-E35D-4C22-AA12-ABC61D491A21.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 117715A2-F4DD-407E-95D8-0F993B98FCE8.jpeg
    117715A2-F4DD-407E-95D8-0F993B98FCE8.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom