Bumblefoot people! Please try this before attempt surgery!!!!!!!!

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
First, I would clean her foot, and see if you can get a better look. I have been treating my chickens for bumble foot for the last month and have seen great results. The first thing I would do is soak the foot for a good 10-20 minuets in an epsom salt bath, than find a way to flip her on her back. I would suggest putting a towel over her head and holding her wings to flip her. This calms my chickens but have never done it with a duck so you might need two people. ounce she is on her back, you should try and remove the plug. The plug is the black scab on her foot. Try and wiggle the plug and see if it will move at all. If it seems to be coming free from the foot, than continue two soak her in 5-10 minuet intervals to loosen it. Some times this works to remove the plug quickly. There should be no blood.

If the plug doesn't want to come out, that is fine. I would than, apply Vetrycin on top of the plug, cover it in a bit of cotton ball, or cotton pad, and wrap it in vet wrap, preferably no chew. Continue to check your ducks foot every other day, eventually the vetrycin will loosen the plug and you can remove it. If the plug does come out there will be a hole in your ducks pad, either squirt Vetrycin or Neosporin in the hole, than wrap tightly with vet wrap, and secure with a piece of duck tape.
PS. You do not need to soak her foot ever time. If you are applying Vetrycin to the plug than each time, see if it is any looser, you should see improvement. If the plug is removed, than each time check for a scab that might form. Pick it off and reapply Vetrycin or Neosporin. If you don't have Vetrycin, you can purchase it from amazon in two day shipping. You will need it if you do not get he plug out.
Hope this helps, and good luck,
Avery

Back
Top Bottom