Bumblefoot, what do I do now?

SchusterChickens

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
Looking for advice for bumblefoot. This is the first time we have had to deal with it. We soaked our hen's foot for a couple days and today we got the plug/corn/callus out. Underneath was a big hole. Is that normal? It didn't bleed. There is still some yellow stuff in the hole. Are we supposed to dig that out, too? We applied Neosporin and wrapped her foot.

Yes, a hole is normal after removing the gunk. You need to get everything out of there or else the bumblefoot will reappear. Keep it wrapped up with neosporin until it heals up and she'll be as good as new! Good job!

It did come back, after 2 days but not so dry. It is loose around the edges. We tried to remove the new core, but it started bleeding and my husband was hesitant to do more, so we applied peroxide and more Neosporin and wrapped it up again.

There are many threads about bumblefoot here on BYC. You can search for them and read for lots (LOTS) of information.

I think people have advised against using hydrogen peroxide; can't remember why. Some people use a drawing salve called Prid (available from Walgreens in my area) to draw out the infection.

Bumblefoot is a staph infection that gets into a cut or scratch on the foot.

Back
Top Bottom