Bumblefoot?? (PICTURES)

SeptemberQuail

Songster
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Australia
Hi all,

My hen, Cookie, has a faint limp when she walks, and my parents noticed how swollen the bottom of her foot looked, compared to the other foot. She has a small black scab on the bottom of that foot.
Sorry about the vague details; it was already dark when we found out so I'll try and get photos and more details in the morning.

This has happened before where she had swollen feet and scabs on both feet, which we assumed was bumblefoot and thus attempted 'surgery' on it - but it was all for nothing as no pus, or plug or anything abnormal to be found and the poor girl must've been internally traumatized if it weren't for her calm nature. We bandaged her up and she was happily snail-snooping straight after and everything seemed to clear up after a week or so.

I don't want to put her through unnecessary pain by mistaking it for bumblefoot again, but I don't want this to worsen and for her to be in greater pain. We're assuming it may be from using the roost (which we're going to remove) as she isn't as young as her buddy (of whom had taught her to use the roost) and I've heard her fly up and fall down before.

Any advice?
Thanks so much!

EDIT/UPDATE: PICS ADDED
This morning I discovered a scab on her left foot as well, but its obvious her right foot is swollen on the bottom and the top. Her right foot is squishy, appears pink/redish and slightly warm to touch, whereas her left foot is cold.

Right foot

Left foot

Comparison

Last edited:
That does look like bumblefoot because of the limp, swelling, and scab in the middle. Since the chicken is limping I would act fast and talk to an avian vet. If you don't have one near you could consider doing surgery on the foot yourself.

Judging from the pictures, does it look like she has bumblefoot on both feet or just the one foot? We're going to attempt surgery tomorrow as soon as possible so I'm still conflicted as to whether I should be concerned about both feet or just the swollen one.
Last time she had scabs on both feet which we worked on and neither turned out to be bumblefoot.

Thanks by the way!

Before doing surgery, I would soak the feet for a couple of days in epsom salts & warm water to try to bring the infection to the surface more & reduce swelling. You can also make a poultice of betadine & sugar to put on the area, put some gauze on it then wrap in vetwrap. Both of these things will help bring the core to the surface. Do this for 3-4 days before attemping surgery & you might have more success in getting the core out.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom