Bumblefoot questions

Why would he not open that up? When my Runner had Bumble I took her to the vet for diagnosis because it didn't present itself like the bumble I had seen in my chickens no blk scab. Vet said bumble put her on antibiotics and Metacam after 7 days it really didn't look any different so I took a scalpel and made a small slit and popped the kernel out. Put antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it she still had 7 days worth of meds to go so we finished them and her foot healed fine. If he isn't willing to open it maybe you should or put some drawing salve on it and wrap in case it opens and dirt gets into it. It may open on it's own or you could? Honest I had never used a scalpel before but sometimes you have to be your own vet.

Why would he not open that up? When my Runner had Bumble I took her to the vet for diagnosis because it didn't present itself like the bumble I had seen in my chickens no blk scab. Vet said bumble put her on antibiotics and Metacam after 7 days it really didn't look any different so I took a scalpel and made a small slit and popped the kernel out. Put antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it she still had 7 days worth of meds to go so we finished them and her foot healed fine. If he isn't willing to open it maybe you should or put some drawing salve on it and wrap in case it opens and dirt gets into it. It may open on it's own or you could? Honest I had never used a scalpel before but sometimes you have to be your own vet.
ugh I'm so scared to be my own vet--but you're right.

When we last talked to our vet, he said that in his experience, whenever he's opened the foot up it hasn't healed and the bird goes into decline. But her leg is really seeming like it's working on healing already. I may give it a few days and see if it opens up on its own, since it seems to be moving along well already.

Do you have any drawing salve? Darn it would be such a shame to put her down when she is getting better. Did he have her on Baytril? maybe while your waiting to see if it will open you could order some baytril and have it ready once it opens.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

He put her on SMZ. I have been very hesitant to use Baytril on my own, because he said he legally couldn't prescribe it and I was having a hard time figuring out why it was banned by the FDA--except that it had to do with the possible creation and transmission of antibiotic resistant Campylobacter. After reading your post I looked into it again, and I just found this article, which suggests transmission through eggs is rare. Now I feel much better about it. I'm ordering Baytril right now. Thank you!

Okay, the spot on her foot finally opened up, so I coated it with decolorized iodine and just gave her her first dose of Baytril. She weighs a little bit under 10 lbs, so I'm planning on giving her .5 ml twice a day for at least 14 days and then reassessing. I don't think 5 days is going to be long enough to make a difference. I also ordered some Tricide Neo that's arriving tomorrow, so I'll start doing soaks with that as well. Feeling like a real hail Mary here🤞

Back
Top Bottom