Bumblefoot - soft white tissue under the hard yellow

Keep doing what you are doing but don’t try to force it especially it starts bleeding or she indicates it hurts. You can use a sharp scalpel blade to gentle score the scab/build up before the salt bath to encourage whatever is in there to come out. I’ve have success with salicylic wart pads to soften/remove the dead tissues and also magnoplasm which is a drawing ointment. Sometimes nail clippers can be helpful to cut away the dead stuff. Patience, consistency and gentleness are key. If she’s still getting around okay that’s reassuring and I’m sure you’ll get on top of it!

Last edited:
From what I’ve read, there’s the kind of bumblefoot that is an abscess with a plug that is often attached to the scab. Softening and removing the scab often results in the plug coming out and then the wound can heal. But I’ve also read about bumblefoot that has the string cheese characteristic, not a single plug, and it’s harder and more painful to treat. So what’s happening with your hen sounds like the latter.

I'd soak it daily and epsom salts. Dry well, apply a small amount of triple antibiotic ointment, wrap and let heal. Change the wrappings daily for a few days.

You shouldn't have to continue to probe in the foot if you removed the plug.

Keep doing what you are doing but don’t try to force it especially it starts bleeding or she indicates it hurts. You can use a sharp scalpel blade to gentle score the scab/build up before the salt bath to encourage whatever is in there to come out. I’ve have success with salicylic wart pads to soften/remove the dead tissues and also magnoplasm which is a drawing ointment. Sometimes nail clippers can be helpful to cut away the dead stuff. Patience, consistency and gentleness are key. If she’s still getting around okay that’s reassuring and I’m sure you’ll get on top of it!
From what I’ve read, there’s the kind of bumblefoot that is an abscess with a plug that is often attached to the scab. Softening and removing the scab often results in the plug coming out and then the wound can heal. But I’ve also read about bumblefoot that has the string cheese characteristic, not a single plug, and it’s harder and more painful to treat. So what’s happening with your hen sounds like the latter.
Thanks alot 😊😊

Following! I’m having the same issue on my bantam where there is a lot of white, stringy pus and no kernel. Lots of bleeding too so i can barely see what’s going on

Following! I’m having the same issue on my bantam where there is a lot of white, stringy pus and no kernel. Lots of bleeding too so i can barely see what’s going on

@PandemicChicken the blood indicates healthy tissue. You can do epsom salt baths in the evening, clean and dry the wound, then apply a drawing salve like prid/magnoplasm/honey and cover in gauze and wrap up. Do this every day until you see the new scab start to form. Don’t take the scab off, wait until it falls of on its own and see how it’s healed underneath. You can keep applying the honey or Vetericyn on the scab before you wrap it up to help it heal, as wounds need moisture to heal.

Back
Top Bottom