Bumblefoot - soft white tissue under the hard yellow

@ChickensComeHome2Roost maybe inspect your environment for sharp things if your pullet has several wounds on her feet. How high are their roosts?
Thanks! I don't think she was injured jumping off the roost as tthe lowest roosting bar is only 18" off the floor. I keep pine shavings down on the linoleum floor and keep it clean. She was roosting on a perch when they were being integrated and stayed in the run but after they moved into the coop with the older chickens she started sleeping on the floor.

@ChickensComeHome2Roost maybe inspect your environment for sharp things if your pullet has several wounds on her feet. How high are their roosts?
This girl is my heaviest and most timid hen and lowest in the pecking order .She's always running from the other hens(and cockerels) I was hoping to keep her as a broody hen but after seeing how timid she is I'm considering rehoming her after her feet heal.

The last hen I treated for bumble foot wore bandages on both feet a month after I removed the core.This one only has it on the tips of a few toes on one foot and her foots swollen. I'm trying to see how well she does in a chicken tractor during the day because it'll restrict her movement during the day and keep her feet cleaner too.She's in the same yard with all the other chickens and sees them all day.I let her out for about an hour today bu t she went straight for a mud hole after she dust bathed so I put her back in the tractor.lol I'm keeping her in a clean cage at night with pine shavings on the floor.

When I checked my other hens feet last night I found a couple of my older hens have bumble too so I have a bit of a crisis on my hands. None of them had bumble last time I checked (spring) but I recently started free ranging them and the grounds rocky.

@ChickensComeHome2Roost there’s a difference between a chicken cutting its foot and having a wound or a scab and then the wound turning into bumblefoot. Bumblefoot is caused by an infection. If you want you can take pictures of all your hens’ feet and make a new thread and we can help you identify if all your hens have bumblefoot or if they just have cuts and scrapes.

Back
Top Bottom