Bumblefoot stress, worms or something contagious?

I will have to get foot pics tomorrow, she’s all wrapped up again right now. I have calcium pills with D3 but not citrate. I can crush some and put it in the food.

She’s lost some tail feathers but doesn’t look like the molting pics online? We’ve only been chickening for a year so I’m not quite sure.

Feathers seem shiny, but she’s a bit ruffled up, esp her shoulder feathers.
Calcium Citrate or Carbonate with D3 will be fine. Give her around 600mg, just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow it.

Lost some tail feathers but doesn't seem to be molting - you may want to examine her to make sure she's doesn't have some type of injury.

Molting usually starts when they are around 12-16months old and feather loss usually starts at the head/neck, then proceeds down the back, to wings then tail.

Crop at night should have something in it, if she's been drinking or eating a little, so being squishy may be "normal" right now, let's see what it's like after she's had a night's sleep.

Omg we woke up to a dead chicken!

Ugh she was our favorite, the sweeting thing ever.

My daughter is devastated. 😓😭

I know it’s possible to tell some things from the position they died in… going to post a pic below of how we found her.

Do I need to get a necropsy?

Warning, dead chicken.

Poor baby😥

Attachments

• 148B175D-F1B4-469A-AE09-5A52673069D4.jpeg
    148B175D-F1B4-469A-AE09-5A52673069D4.jpeg
    683.3 KB · Views: 13
I don’t know if that staph infection went to her heart, or if she had salpingitis or some ovary issue (she kind of tapered off of laying, it wasn’t sudden and eggs seemed normal) or if acidosis from all the panting could do it… or if it’s possibly something more nefarious like MS/MG, Newcastle or Avian flu.

I massaged her crop a little last night, but she’d been eating once inside. Hope I didn’t make her aspirate.

Thoughts…?

The position doesn't really tell you much, sometimes when they die they thrash around some, and that's a normal part of the dying process. The best thing you can do is refrigerate the body (don't freeze), contact your nearest poultry lab, and send or take her for necropsy. Call your nearest for particulars, and if it's close enough you may be able to deliver rather than ship.
Labs list, by state:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

The position doesn't really tell you much, sometimes when they die they thrash around some, and that's a normal part of the dying process. The best thing you can do is refrigerate the body (don't freeze), contact your nearest poultry lab, and send or take her for necropsy. Call your nearest for particulars, and if it's close enough you may be able to deliver rather than ship.
Labs list, by state:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
Thank you so much!

Omg we woke up to a dead chicken!

Ugh she was our favorite, the sweeting thing ever.

My daughter is devastated. 😓😭

I know it’s possible to tell some things from the position they died in… going to post a pic below of how we found her.

Do I need to get a necropsy?
:hugs I'm sorry! It's sad to lose one.

Very hard to know why she died, so yes, if possible, getting a necropsy would give you more information.

:hugs I'm sorry! It's sad to lose one.

Very hard to know why she died, so yes, if possible, getting a necropsy would give you more information.
Thank you very much. This was our first grown chicken loss. She was so special, a derpy dribbler with the cutest noises and great cheeks. Our favorite baby girl.

We delivered her body to the San Bernardino center for an autopsy.

I’ll leave this cute pic my daughter made for her here. RIP Gingy ❤️

Attachments

• 24246E34-44A4-4EA3-B994-F8ACFF9F3DBF.png
    24246E34-44A4-4EA3-B994-F8ACFF9F3DBF.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
Thank you very much. This was our first grown chicken loss. She was so special, a derpy dribbler with the cutest noises and great cheeks. Our favorite baby girl.

We delivered her body to the San Bernardino center for an autopsy.

I’ll leave this cute pic my daughter made for her here. RIP Gingy ❤️
Such a sweet photo of Gingy ❤️

If you don't mind, let us know what the report says.

Back
Top Bottom