Bumblefoot stress, worms or something contagious?

Such a sweet photo of Gingy ❤️

If you don't mind, let us know what the report says.

Got the prelim report today.

Both batches of birds (she came with first from Dare2Dream, second was from Hilltop Farms) were allegedly vaccinated for Marek’s, so I’m not sure exactly what this means…

Do I need to maintain a closed flock now?

Attachments

• EF4B66B9-CC76-4D34-8A5A-20A33B027289.jpeg
    EF4B66B9-CC76-4D34-8A5A-20A33B027289.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 8
Got the prelim report today.

Both batches of birds (she came with first from Dare2Dream, second was from Hilltop Farms) were allegedly vaccinated for Marek’s, so I’m not sure exactly what this means…

Do I need to maintain a closed flock now?
I'm glad you are getting some info back.

Looks like they are not able to tell at this point if it's Marek's or LL, could be some of other disorder, but these 2 are the most common it seems.

With both diseases, often you can learn to manage symptoms by offering supportive care and see if they improve. There's no cure for either one.

The vaccine for Marek's helps stop the formation of tumors, but does not prevent infection from the virus, so birds can and do still become sick and die unfortunately.

Since you do potentially have Marek's in your flock, vaccinating new chicks may be helpful, but they would need to be quarantined and not exposed to the virus for at least 2 weeks to help build them up.

Many many many people have Marek's in their flock, it would be a good idea to not sell chicks/birds, take birds to shows, etc. this can help prevent spread, since it is in dust/dander/feather follicles, etc.

With LL, which I might lean towards since the report finds an enlarged liver and kidneys. There is no vaccine, but symptoms usually present when a little older as well. Quite a few have this disease in their flock and manage symptoms as they arise. The disease can be passed through the egg to offspring, but some have successfully hatched chicks and as time goes by, they see less symptoms. Like @azygous

I know it's bad news and upsetting, but may not be a complete death sentence either.

Here's a couple of articles that may help you. The first is from @microchick it's very good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

Nambroth's article has a lot of info that can get you started on researching different aspects of management and care.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom