Bumblefoot, Surgery and Follow Up - NY area Vet Recommendation

Pics
Well I certainly enjoy hearing about what you are doing there and it gives me ideas also

Hi MG,

The work seems to be never ending, but it is well worth it. In the warmer months I cut greens for the girls in the morning before heading out to work. They love their kale, collard and Asian greens. The girls particularly love an Asian green called "Carlton", they devour it . We also plant a lot of radish, the girls love to eat the greens as well, along with turnip greens (except that someone mowed them down already). This year I planted a great sweet pumpkin called Long Island Cheese, since it is a good candidate for storage and the seeds a natural dewormer. That is also why I added extra butternut squash to treat the girls in the winter. We have a small green house that I plant in the fall, to overwinter greens. I planted Claytonia this past Fall, which I am still harvesting. Also a good candidate that can handle below freezing temps in our unheated greenhouse. The Pac Choi reseeded itself along with mustard greens in the greenhouse and is already getting ready to go to seed. Have not given the girls the mustard greens yet. Will have to see if they like them. They also go crazy for spinach. Never seem to have enough on hand. Unfortunately the weather here in NY has been from one extreme to another. We went from below freezing, to quick 40s and then straight into upper 80s and 90s in the shade, even though we are up on a mountain. The weather has been flip flopping around. It is possible that we will have a frost this upcoming Friday night into Saturday. I ended up holding off on planting my tomatoes and peppers which was a good thing, I have been nurturing these babies for nearly 10 weeks now. Will have a lot of planting this Saturday. I put up a lot of tomato sauce which is enough to hold us over for a year. I look forward to the maintenance part of the planting season, that is what I enjoy the most. With a short window to get things seeded or planted, coupled with work, this is my busiest part of the season. Thankfully, I will look forward to next week, since everything should be in the ground by then. Talk with you later! :) Best regards, Martha

Martha,

Mine refuse to go out in any snow unless I put a yummy treat out. Even then, only a few brave (or desperate) girls go out. The others stand in the doorway, looking wistfully and tottering on the edge. I've been begging the hubby to put up some kind of roof to keep rain out of the coop and give them a snow free area so they can get some fresh air. So far, nothing. I've been learning to use power tools so I don't have to wait helplessly until he deigns to fix/build things, and we got a band saw I feel comfortable using, so I guess I'll have to do it myself.

On garden note, we built a fence and set up a dog house in the barn and put the dog in there after raccoons mowed down 80 square feet of corn one night and rabbits decimated the soybeans. Brazenly. Broad daylight. So far she's doing an excellent job, except for eating the cherry tomatoes and Brussel sprouts. Even watched her chase a deer away. She also chase birds away, which I'm not happy about, as I need them to eat bugs. Maybe I need to put a perch up high so they can get away while staying near the garden.

Good Evening Martha,
I was putting on the vet wrap on Almost Red's left foot. for some reason I thought hmm I must have wrapped her toe up and it is in there. So I unwrapped the entire wrap to count her toes. Four toes...is that right,,,,, but look at her other foot there are five,,,,, no, that looks like a spur. Wrapped her all up and she very happily went outside. My that girl is heavy.
Here are the pictures.

She does not have that spur on the other leg. Do you know anything about this?

Hi Martha, I forgot to mention.
We have a Dorking which does have five toes. very sweet birds. So I guess I got a little confused.
Today on inspection of the bumbles I can see it will be soaking, changing wrap and gauze with ointment. As I pulled the scab away it was bloody. I quit immediately.
I am very impressed with your knowledge of gardening and canning. We have four grocery stores in a three to four mile radius around our house. The temptation to buy everything is strong. but we continue to resist at levels we can live with. We did can a little last summer. I am thinking I need a more closed type canning equipment. What do you use? I have the great big pot. What about a pressure cooker canner or an electric one. ? I would like to know your recipe for the tomato sauce that you can.? I again have over planted tomatoes. You have a packed day everyday. I feel lazy now.
The girls cannot wait to get back into the coop and we do this best we can or I say my husband does the best he can. It sure will be nice to have it done. I said yesterday I would take a picture of it. I forgot so tomorrow I will. It looks very big back there in the yard, it is also on the highest point. I want roofing that is the same coloring of the pine trees so it will not look intrusive. Fortunately the neighbors don't talk to each other and we don't talk to them. We pretty much have a little chicken farm back here and everyone else has grass.
Talk later and take care.
Regards,
Mary Grace.

Good Evening Martha,
I was putting on the vet wrap on Almost Red's left foot. for some reason I thought hmm I must have wrapped her toe up and it is in there. So I unwrapped the entire wrap to count her toes. Four toes...is that right,,,,, but look at her other foot there are five,,,,, no, that looks like a spur. Wrapped her all up and she very happily went outside. My that girl is heavy.
Here are the pictures.

She does not have that spur on the other leg. Do you know anything about this?
Yes, they have four toes. Has Almost Red stopped laying eggs? If so, she may be turning into a Rooster. I hear that this is not uncommon.

Hi Martha, I forgot to mention.
We have a Dorking which does have five toes. very sweet birds. So I guess I got a little confused.
Today on inspection of the bumbles I can see it will be soaking, changing wrap and gauze with ointment. As I pulled the scab away it was bloody. I quit immediately.
I am very impressed with your knowledge of gardening and canning. We have four grocery stores in a three to four mile radius around our house. The temptation to buy everything is strong. but we continue to resist at levels we can live with. We did can a little last summer. I am thinking I need a more closed type canning equipment. What do you use? I have the great big pot. What about a pressure cooker canner or an electric one. ? I would like to know your recipe for the tomato sauce that you can.? I again have over planted tomatoes. You have a packed day everyday. I feel lazy now.
The girls cannot wait to get back into the coop and we do this best we can or I say my husband does the best he can. It sure will be nice to have it done. I said yesterday I would take a picture of it. I forgot so tomorrow I will. It looks very big back there in the yard, it is also on the highest point. I want roofing that is the same coloring of the pine trees so it will not look intrusive. Fortunately the neighbors don't talk to each other and we don't talk to them. We pretty much have a little chicken farm back here and everyone else has grass.
Talk later and take care.
Regards,
Mary Grace.

Hi Mary Grace,

Connie's foot is also slowly healing. I am still bandaging and soaking. Last night I got in late from work and while re-bandaging her I note that she is still sensitive in the area of the bumblefoot. The area continues to shrink in size, but I am not sure if it was dirt, or if she was forming a second scab over the hole. Tonight I will give her a nice foot soak and re-bandage. I am still keeping in her the house at night and giving her extra TLC.

On gardening, we bought an old farmhouse dating back to the 1830s 1840s which had an existing small apple orchard and 2 huge swaths of blueberries. I like to put up low sugar Blueberry, Strawberry, Raspberry and Apple jams. My specialty is an Apple Pie jam which everyone raves about that tastes just like the apple pie filing. This year it appears that we will have a bumper crop. Last year we had a late frost, coupled with low temps and there was hardly anything. Luckily this year, everything was in perfect order for pollination. However, we are still looking at a possible late frost Friday night into Saturday. Not much we can do about at this point.

I only use that which we grow on the property since we are organic. I use Pomana's Pectin since it is all natural and you do not need to use a lot of sugar, or you can use no sugar at all. I use the water canning bath method out on the deck over a propane cook stove. With our high elevation to do it electric stove top would be cost prohibited. This Spring was also my first year making maple syrup, so I have a DIY project this summer. I am going to make an outdoor wood stove/grill and maybe even smoker, so that I can do my maple syrup and cooking down of sauce and canning outdoors. We have lots of pines that I am always cutting down and they will come to good use as firewood for the outdoor stove.

I would be more than happy to share my tomato sauce recipe. Last year I grew a tomato called "White Cherry" It was super sweet and I ended up making yellow tomato sauce with it which was out of this world. Fresh herbs from the garden, onions and peppers and we were set to go. I am allergic to "raw" tomatoes, but I can eat the sauce as long as I cook it down and process it. Sadly, that is the same with the blueberries. Even coming into contact with the shrubs makes me break out into hives, yet every year I am out there picking away. Last year we picked 20 gallons, to put up into jam and save for the girls over the winter as a treat. I will talk with you later. Enjoy the rest of your day....back to work for me. Best regards, Martha

Martha,

Mine refuse to go out in any snow unless I put a yummy treat out. Even then, only a few brave (or desperate) girls go out. The others stand in the doorway, looking wistfully and tottering on the edge. I've been begging the hubby to put up some kind of roof to keep rain out of the coop and give them a snow free area so they can get some fresh air. So far, nothing. I've been learning to use power tools so I don't have to wait helplessly until he deigns to fix/build things, and we got a band saw I feel comfortable using, so I guess I'll have to do it myself.

On garden note, we built a fence and set up a dog house in the barn and put the dog in there after raccoons mowed down 80 square feet of corn one night and rabbits decimated the soybeans. Brazenly. Broad daylight. So far she's doing an excellent job, except for eating the cherry tomatoes and Brussel sprouts. Even watched her chase a deer away. She also chase birds away, which I'm not happy about, as I need them to eat bugs. Maybe I need to put a perch up high so they can get away while staying near the garden.

Hi WOL1,

I hope I find you well. Chickens can definitely be funny. There must be a bear in our area and they know it is around. They have been acting a little strange since yesterday. Last year we had a mother come through with her 2 cubs and tried to break into their outdoor pen. Luckily my husband built the pen to withstand a bear. I was home at the time up in the field working and did not realize what was transpiring until I saw the bear and her 2 cubs run right by me. I ran down to the ladies and Benjamin and thankfully everyone was ok. The girls were all hiding in the coop under their nest boxes.

I know the feeling with endless projects. It is sometimes difficult to get my husband also to give me a helping hand on the projects that require a second person. I just threaten him now that I will find a guy on Craigslist to help me with all the projects around the place. I am also pretty hand with power tools coming from a family in construction.

I need to work on keeping out the small critters this weekend before they wreck havoc on the seedlings that I started outdoors. We have a possible frost this Friday and I will be busy planting my tomatoes and peppers that I started indoors this weekend after the threat of frost has passed. I rolled in last night from work and a woodchuck was eyeing me when I got out of the car, standing up on his hind legs.....he was contemplating.....I could see it his expression.....what looked good for dinner. Hopefully Henry will behave himself and stay to the garage side of the property and away from any crops. Enjoy the rest of your day. Best regards, Martha

Yes, they have four toes. Has Almost Red stopped laying eggs? If so, she may be turning into a Rooster. I hear that this is not uncommon.

Hi Martha,
REALLY.... I have not heard of this. I will check to see if she is laying. How interesting. She did not have feathers on her underbelly or where her fluffy butt should be for almost a year. And now she just grew them all in this spring. I don't know why she was so featherless for so long.

I would love to have your Apple Pie Jam receipe. Maybe you could pm it sometime. I can get apples in the fall from others who have the orchards in the small towns. Our neighbor has a beautiful apple tree on the property line of our house, the apples fall in the yard and the girls just love them. I love apples it is a fruit that does not cause gastric juice problems. I take a little apple cider vinegar with the mother a couple of times a day and it seems to help.
Talk later.

Hi Martha,
REALLY.... I have not heard of this. I will check to see if she is laying. How interesting. She did not have feathers on her underbelly or where her fluffy butt should be for almost a year. And now she just grew them all in this spring. I don't know why she was so featherless for so long.

I would love to have your Apple Pie Jam receipe. Maybe you could pm it sometime. I can get apples in the fall from others who have the orchards in the small towns. Our neighbor has a beautiful apple tree on the property line of our house, the apples fall in the yard and the girls just love them. I love apples it is a fruit that does not cause gastric juice problems. I take a little apple cider vinegar with the mother a couple of times a day and it seems to help.
Talk later.

She is laying, just saw her now in the nest box.

I need help!
My road island red got Bumble foot that I noticed last Wednesday or Thursday and it's Monday and she was fine but now she's limping!!
She has it on both feet but her right one was big, so I cut out this yucky scabie thing from pic one and put Aloe and Turmeric and triple antibiotic on it again and then did her left foot which I don't have pictures of but it was small.
I'm worried what else do I do??🤷‍♀️
still swollen!!!
Any help would be great!!!!!!

Attachments

• 20230911_130719.jpg
    20230911_130719.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230911_131811.jpg
    20230911_131811.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom