Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Thank you all for the info. gotta do this today!!! ughh
sad.png

I was given a chicken just over two weeks ago with this.
One thing I'd like to point out though, they don't always have the black scab. Even to a novice like myself, it was obvious it was an abcess even though the first vet to see her disagreed.
Admittedly the first vet did tell me that she knew absolutely nothing about chickens and googled this site to confirm her opinion but I had a second opinion from the owner of the practice, who took one look and said "Yes, that's definitely Bumblefoot" and grabbed a scalpel and slashed her in two places before I had time to blink.
Having googled images of Bumblefoot, I can safely say she had a very bad case of it. There was a huge swelling of over an inch deep from below her foot, and when the vet squeezed, it was like a horror movie.
Cream cheese exploded out of the incision. Lots of it.
I've been working on her foot for two weeks now, opening it up daily, fishing out any stray bits, then using a cotton wool bud soaked in hibiscrub to get into the nooks and crannies. The first week I was giving her 2mm of Baytril but the vet swapped to half a clavaseptin pill inserted into the hole and then packing it with animalintex poultice gauze, followed by more animalintex over the whole foot and vetwrap. When we started, her foot was red hot all the way up to the hock, now it is the same temperature as the other foot. I'm still getting small chunks of pus (about 2mm size) out of the hole but it is defnitely healing, and compared to the first week after surgery when I was still fishing hard sweetcorn sized lumps out of it, she's coming a long way. The only thing I worry about is that the skin around her foot expanded so much that it may not ever go back to a normal size.
Sorry for the graphic pics to follow lol

Next day

3 days later

3 days ago

Bumblefoot surgery went well! Now its healing time! Oprah wingfree handled it good for being antisocial! I think it hurt her foot so much she was grateful to have the surgery! I always wanted to be a vet I am getting the experience one way or another! Lol

aaaaah Ha! soooo. I have a few questions.. do you drug them first and if so with what? 2. do turkeys get Bumblefoot? (I have a gimping turkey...) 3. In turkeys would it be the same symptoms? and lastly 4. Have you ever done a bumblefoot surgery on a turkey?

I would imagine a turkey can get it. I also have one chicken that's had it 4 times in 5 years.
No drugging, no 'CAINE!. Seems like most people just cover their head a bit. They're pretty cooperative. And a big treat after.

Back
Top Bottom