Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
15 minute Epsom salt soaks twice a day, and Iodine and sugar poultice works great on bumble foot. Even if you end up having to open it up, this prepares it wonderfully.

How do you make a idodine and sugar poultice? Would that poultice work if you have already opened it up? I'm taking the bandages off mine tommorrow to see what my handiwork did. One foot was still swollen after getting pus and a couple of kernels out, but I couldn't find anything else in there and it was obviously hurting her. Then I made the mistake of putting her in fresh epsom salt soak and she pooped in the water. Ugh. :rolleyes: I really, really should have given more thought to that decision. So rinsed her out, applied neosporin and a dilution of tea tree oil (she is still walking, eating and alive), bandaged her up and have given her three days of PenG shots just in case the poop got back in the wound. Also noticed she has scraped her skin off a couple of her toes. That's a good way for stuff to get in. She is obviously a determined digger to tear the hide off like that. I've since kept her caged and have been putting liquid bandaid on those scraped toes.

With Pen G I draw up my .5 ml of med, then I draw up .2 of sterile saline and use a 23 gauge needle. That .2 of saline thins it out just beautifully for a higher gauge needle.

Yes, that would continue to draw infection, and any remaining bumble foot out, or to the surface.

Yes but how do you make the poultice? Do you just take gauze pad and put iodine and regular sugar on it and bandage it to their foot? How often do you change it and how many days do you do this?

I'm sorry. Yes.
Use just enough to make it into a paste. Use gauge, and bandage it. Change it everyday. I would draw it out for about a week after surgery. I would continue to bandage it, and keep it clean after that, until it is healed.

Thanks. I will try that as best I can. Bad timing on th chickens part. Hubby fixig to have surgery and I have to care for him and everything around here. Sure hope I can do it myself. He's been helping me.

I'm sorry. Yes.
Use just enough to make it into a paste. Use gauge, and bandage it. Change it everyday. I would draw it out for about a week after surgery. I would continue to bandage it, and keep it clean after that, until it is healed.

Maybe I should be drawing for a week after surgery too instead of triple antibiotic ointment.?

I would never use triple antibiotic ointment for open wounds. This poultice, and Epsom salt/ betadine soak can actually prevent the need for surgery in cases where the bumble foot is just starting.

Thanks. I will try that as best I can. Bad timing on th chickens part. Hubby fixig to have surgery and I have to care for him and everything around here. Sure hope I can do it myself. He's been helping me.

Well, think of it as time away from a man who's just had surgery. You know how needy men are!!!!

Back
Top Bottom