Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Quote:
Can't see the start of anythig regarding bumblefoot.... just think it is a sprain so will rest her for a few days. but THANKS so much for this thread.

Quote:
Good to know!
thumbsup.gif

coop's chicks :

Just to ad to the excellent surgery info. When we do this we should wear gloves because the infection in there is Staph infection and is nasty for humans as well.

I actually did as infection raises a red flag for me. I'd reccomend it for sure.​

I have tried twice to do bumblefoot surgery on one of my little EE hens, Prissy. I was a failure. Now I don't know what I'm going to do, as I'm pretty sure I need someone to give me on-the-job training in how to treat this. I'm not going to have her terrified to death by taking her to the vet's office where there are a zillion barking dogs and I doubt a vet is going to spend an hour on a chicken's foot without charging $500. Right now, Prissy is in a crate in my bathroom - it's large and roomy and she has plenty of food and comfy bedding, but she wants to be out in the hen pen with the rest of the girls. I can tell she is not happy.

Has anyone tried treating early bumblefoot with Amoxicillin? It's too early to cut into the foot at this point as no kernel has formed, so hitting it with antibiotics?
hmm.png
250 mg for ten days is what the vet supply is saying, I'm planning on crushing it and feeding it in a treat and having them all wear the indoorrducks.com shoes since they live on concrete. Any thoughts? We sweep the concrete daily but the coop has shavings which could have made a cut. Now I have three early bumblefoot cases in the flock, and as a preventative measure I think I'm buying them all a pair of shoes.
sad.png

First I want to say that BUMBLEFOOT IS A PAIN IN THE PATOOT!!!!
barnie.gif
I have a rooster I will have to cull because I didn't catch the bumblefoot soon enough and it has become resistant to antibiotics and it moved into his hocks. I don't think I would give antibiotics without first working on their feet. I think antibiotics should be a last resort (unless like my rooster and it is extreme, but make sure you use an anitbiotic that is FOR STAPH). You can research these on the internet. We are working on a hen that we have already done the surgery on and neosporin isn't touching it, nor sugardine, nor anything else so we are giving her lincocin aqudrops. Her one foot looks better, but we need to reopen the other foot..not looking forward to that!!
One thing that is missing from this thread is this tutorial on youtube on how to wrap a chickens foot. This has been invaluable and saves on time and supplies. We add some duck tape over the last little strip around the chickens ankle to keep the vetwrap on.
or you can go to youtube and type in bumblefoot chicken and it will pop up.

My next venture into bumblefoot will be to see if manuka honey can cure the incurable.

Seems like a lot of us are spending our nice summer nights doctoring chickens..here's to the end of bumblefoot!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom