Bumblefoot

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pinkjeanne, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Pinkjeanne

Pinkjeanne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    After a wet spring, we have had an abundance of goat-head stickers on our property. Three of my girls developed bumble foot, probably from the stickers. This is my first time dealing with this. I'm a retired nurse, so after watching video instructions on removing the kernels, I was able to do the procedure without difficulty. It's been a little over a week, and after a nightly soak, I remove any new scab forming on the foot, spray with Vetericyn, and bandage their feet with antibiotic ointment, a small gauze pad, and vet wrap. The wounds look good, with healthy, pink tissue filling in. But one hen, Twilight, has me a little concerned. The pad of her foot is soft, the hole looks healthy & pink, and it doesn't seem tender. After soaking, I still get a small amount of stringy, clear-to-opaque drainage from the center of the hole. She had a firm lump between 2 of her toes when I started treating her, and it is still there. It doesn't seem tender at all when I press on it, but it doesn't look any smaller, & it is still firm. A couple of days ago I tried to probe into the center of the hole again, to see if there was more infection, but I stopped because it really seemed to hurt her. The initial surgery didn't seem painful at all, since there was infection & dead tissue. Money is an issue, so I would like to avoid going to a vet if I can. My gut tells to be patient, keep doing the soaks & dressing changes & to avoid further probing around in the wound. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Good luck on the emergencies forum.

7. The Chicken-Boy

The Chicken-Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

I hope your hens recover from bumblefoot soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by