Bumblefoot

ajackalope

Songster
5 Years
Nov 9, 2016
Mercer county, NJ
My 2 year old Jersey Red Rock has bumblefoot. My neighbor and I successfully removed a huge scab with a lot of stuff attached to it. Under the scab was some stringy yellowish white and then healthy looking flesh. How can I be sure we got all of it? The scab was over a quarter of an inch thick. My neighbor who did the actual cutting is a nurse practitioner and a paramedic and all she could see when she massaged and squeezed the foot was solid flesh. The hen is also on amoxicillin. She is running around just fine with her bandage. How can I be sure U got it all? I will be soaking and doing a dressing change on Wednesday if she stays this wAy.

I did a bandage change today and there is a dark red scab with a little yellow spot in it. Does that mean anything?

When my hen had bumblefoot, the only way to tell we got rid of it was to see a healthy scab. bumblefoot is a staff infection that is really hard to get rid of. It took a couple times to get rid of my hen's, and the only way I could tell was her foot had stopped swelling and there was a healthy scab over it. Yellow usually means it has come back (the yellow being the infection), but it could mean something else(I'm definitely not an expert
1f606.png
) YouTube has some really great videos on how to completely treat bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom