Bumblefoot

This is mine and the reason why I took her to the vet, I’d never seen a bumble like this one. I had to make a slit with a scalpel and pop the bumble out. Others I’ve had to use sterile tweezers and dig out. You could go for the whole antibiotic but that bumble ( infection) usually has to be gotten out.

Attachments

• EDD776F6-44C1-495A-A1E6-45247662C5D8.jpeg
    EDD776F6-44C1-495A-A1E6-45247662C5D8.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 5
This is mine and the reason why I took her to the vet, I’d never seen a bumble like this one. I had to make a slit with a scalpel and pop the bumble out. Others I’ve had to use sterile tweezers and dig out. You could go for the whole antibiotic but that bumble ( infection) usually has to be gotten out.
Oh gosh yes that looks nothing like ours. Woild there be a way for me to know if its got to his bones once i remove scab and try to get it out?

No other than swelling around the ankle that might be an indicator. Just work on soaking and getting that scab off when it’s ready. I use my finger nail to peel off the scab when it’s good an ready it should come off pretty easy.

No other than swelling around the ankle that might be an indicator. Just work on soaking and getting that scab off when it’s ready. I use my finger nail to peel off the scab when it’s good an ready it should come off pretty easy.
Thank you so much lydia, may i report back to tou in 5 days ish to let you know how things are going? Currently hes indoors to make sure hes kept extra dry and just had gis medication

I think you're getting good advice. I would definitely not wait the 28 days before trying to get the scab off. It won't go away on antibiotics alone. Definitely start soaking it twice a day and try for the scab in a few days or so. Just slowly start loosening it with your nail like it was mentioned. I'm not sure what it will look like under there as it's so large. You should look through the threads on BYC for chickens and ducks with bumblefoot, as I know there are some that post pictures when they do the "surgery" to get the infection out. I've seen some pics of chickens with pretty large bumble scabs. Some people seem able to get a kernel of infection that pops out like Miss Lydia's and sometimes it seems that it takes going in a few different times over the course of several days. Recently one of my ducks had a little bumble and I thought I did get the infection out as soon as I noticed it - it was just a small swelling by her toe. But it seemed like she wasn't getting better, even after a trip to the vet and 10 days of antibiotics. Back she went for an antibiotic injection but the toe swelled even more the following week, though the initial bumble spot by the toe flattened out and seemed healed. Third trip to the vet and he said it had abscessed and gotten into the toe joint. I ended up euthanizing her because he said the treatment would have needed to be: x-ray, needle culture, culture analysis, 8-10 weeks of antibiotics, and he said it was very possible it could lead to amputation. I opted not to put my duck or myself through that regiment. I will attach a photo of what her foot looked like at the end - it doesn't look bad, but the infection had spread, despite our best efforts.
IMG_1106 (1).JPG

I think you're getting good advice. I would definitely not wait the 28 days before trying to get the scab off. It won't go away on antibiotics alone. Definitely start soaking it twice a day and try for the scab in a few days or so. Just slowly start loosening it with your nail like it was mentioned. I'm not sure what it will look like under there as it's so large. You should look through the threads on BYC for chickens and ducks with bumblefoot, as I know there are some that post pictures when they do the "surgery" to get the infection out. I've seen some pics of chickens with pretty large bumble scabs. Some people seem able to get a kernel of infection that pops out like Miss Lydia's and sometimes it seems that it takes going in a few different times over the course of several days. Recently one of my ducks had a little bumble and I thought I did get the infection out as soon as I noticed it - it was just a small swelling by her toe. But it seemed like she wasn't getting better, even after a trip to the vet and 10 days of antibiotics. Back she went for an antibiotic injection but the toe swelled even more the following week, though the initial bumble spot by the toe flattened out and seemed healed. Third trip to the vet and he said it had abscessed and gotten into the toe joint. I ended up euthanizing her because he said the treatment would have needed to be: x-ray, needle culture, culture analysis, 8-10 weeks of antibiotics, and he said it was very possible it could lead to amputation. I opted not to put my duck or myself through that regiment. I will attach a photo of what her foot looked like at the end - it doesn't look bad, but the infection had spread, despite our best efforts. View attachment 2163131
So sorry for your loss :( it must have been so hard for you im very worried this hasnt been treated by the vets correctly to begin with :( thank you so much for all the support and advice!

So sorry for your loss :( it must have been so hard for you im very worried this hasnt been treated by the vets correctly to begin with :( thank you so much for all the support and advice!
Sometimes it seems like vets are just kind of guessing. Even at my Avian vet they don't see many cases of bumblefoot. You still have hope for your ducky - I think mine was an unusual case with how quickly it escalated. Let us know how the soaks are going and if you think you can get the scab off.

Thank you so much lydia, may i report back to tou in 5 days ish to let you know how things are going? Currently hes indoors to make sure hes kept extra dry and just had gis medication
Thank you!
I managed to get a small about of the black scab off this eveming
Only around the corner, looked like just normal flesh underneath. No blood or reddness or puss as of yet! Is there the posibilty there isnt anything under the black scab?

Back
Top Bottom