Bumblefoot

lindaDH

Chirping
Oct 15, 2018
Northern CA
I'm almost certain this is bumblefoot, and I'm embarrassed to admit that despite the fact my well-loved chicken has been limping for the last few weeks, I neglected to look at her feet, but continued to look for leg injuries instead. The last few days have been hot here in Northern California, and so Betty comes inside to hap in the pet carrier in front of the fan until it cools off. She was enjoying a lot of attention when I saw a scab on her foot. So I had my husband hold her while I poked with a Qtip and took photos to get a better look. The scab was loose, more like a flap and Betty easily pulled it off herself after we set her down. Once I saw the photos, I sprayed the wound with Viceryn and wrapped it with gauze and tape. Now for the questions: I've been reading about this all day and know if it's bumblefoot, it's also likely Staff (yes, I washed my hands!) but I don't see a hard kernel inside, nor is it red or puffy. Most of the advice I can find tells me to try to dig out the "kernel" but I'm not sure that is applicable in this case. Veterinarians who see chickens are non-existent in my area, so that's not an option. Should I continue to spray it and wrap it, or should I try to dig for the "kernel?"

Attachments

• IMG_2864.jpg
    IMG_2864.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2862.jpg
    IMG_2862.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 18
Yes, that is bumblefoot. You could try using Decolorized (Clear) Iodine on the foot, wrapping it and see if a kernel appears. That may be better than cutting on the foot.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/does-my-chicken-have-bumblefoot.1139224/post-17686413

Looks like she has a lot of raised scales on the toes or they like that on the legs too? She may have Scaly Leg Mites as well, so I would apply some vaseline or castor oil to the legs and toes working the oil under and into the scales to smother mites.

Toe nails could use a trim as well.

Hopefully by addressing all 3 issues the limping will resolve.

Yes, that is bumblefoot. You could try using Decolorized (Clear) Iodine on the foot, wrapping it and see if a kernel appears. That may be better than cutting on the foot.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/does-my-chicken-have-bumblefoot.1139224/post-17686413

Looks like she has a lot of raised scales on the toes or they like that on the legs too? She may have Scaly Leg Mites as well, so I would apply some vaseline or castor oil to the legs and toes working the oil under and into the scales to smother mites.

Toe nails could use a trim as well.

Hopefully by addressing all 3 issues the limping will resolve.
Thank you for all your advice, I'm going to work on this today. About the nails; every time I try to trim the nails I aim to just take the tip, but my birds bleed anyway. I think I need to work on my technique.

Thank you for all your advice, I'm going to work on this today. About the nails; every time I try to trim the nails I aim to just take the tip, but my birds bleed anyway. I think I need to work on my technique.
Her nails are light colored so you should be able to take a strong flashlight, shine on the nail and see the quick. Mark where the quick is and trim below that mark. Wait a week or so, then do it again - the quick *should* shrink back as you trim, but may not, but worth a try.

Some birds don't really have a kernal. If there is any white or creamy colored stuff in there, it needs to come out. Clean it as well as you can and then apply the ointment and bandage it. I've had some that the outer scab was pretty much it. It can still take a while to heal. If it regenerates, then you know there was still gunk in there.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment.html/?spref=pi

Her nails are light colored so you should be able to take a strong flashlight, shine on the nail and see the quick. Mark where the quick is and trim below that mark. Wait a week or so, then do it again - the quick *should* shrink back as you trim, but may not, but worth a try.
What a great idea! Thank you!

Some birds don't really have a kernal. If there is any white or creamy colored stuff in there, it needs to come out. Clean it as well as you can and then apply the ointment and bandage it. I've had some that the outer scab was pretty much it. It can still take a while to heal. If it regenerates, then you know there was still gunk in there.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment.html/?spref=pi
Very helpful, thank you. Getting ready to unwrap and rewash her foot. I ordered some Theracyn poultry wound spray that Amazon has promised to deliver later today, and then I'll use that for a few days and see how it looks. I'm so glad to know that maybe that outer scab it. She's been out in the yard digging with not a problem this morning, and the limp isn't too bad when she walks. Thanks again for all of your help!

Back
Top Bottom