Bumblefoot?

Update -
After we soaked her the next time, we found that the infection had become more obvious. Lots more white marbling that could be removed with tweezers. It resembled the bumblefoot kernels I’ve seen on my chicken before - just not in one piece. Ugh! In hindsight, I should have taken pix, but I was working solo and didn’t think of it.
We will keep on treating while we continue to look for a vet who sees ducks.

Glad to hear that infection is coming out. Were you able to rub off/pull off the scab with tweezers? I'll second the duck booties. They're a bit tricky to get on at first but they really seem to help. Fit can be a bit snug with wrapping or bandages but it's still workable.

Glad to hear that infection is coming out. Were you able to rub off/pull off the scab with tweezers? I'll second the duck booties. They're a bit tricky to get on at first but they really seem to help. Fit can be a bit snug with wrapping or bandages but it's still workable.
The scab came off with tweezers - not in one piece. (No such luck there!). We got some duck booties in, but I’m not sure they’re going to fit her, so I may have to try again there. Thanks!

I like to keep my duck medical cabinet stocked in case of emergencies, and I have some regular iodine but not clear iodine. Is there much of a difference?
We used regular iodine, which was messy but helped. The clear stuff came in yesterday, so we’re using it today when we bring her in. I have no idea if there’s any difference besides color.

She’s an awfully good sport about all this. The mealworms help, LOL!

Poor Annabelle had to get her foot worked on again today. LOTS of gunk. It took forever. I managed to get a good dose of antibiotics in her, thank goodness. She’s all bandaged up and resting comfortably in the ducky hospital. I really, really hope I don’t have to do that again. It was awful for both of us! After we were done she sat in my lap with her head on my shoulder. If we didn’t have the dogs in, I’d bring her in for some TV. 😁

My poor, sweet Pekin, Annabelle, has a foot issue that never goes away. We noticed she was limping last spring and found that her foot pad was very swollen and had a rock hard scab about the size of a dime. We did all the usual bumblefoot things except cutting her foot open. We also gave her antibiotics. It got bettter but never went away. We treated it all summer.

She has started limping again, so I picked her up today and her foot looks exactly like it did last year.

The thing is, there never was any pus or plug. Just a hard, brownish black scab and a very swollen foot pad. There was / is some white marbling that comes out with tweezers. It is solid.

I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing for her.

The pics below are before and after pulling off the scab (which seems more like a callous than a scab.)View attachment 2999044

Any thoughts are welcome.
I’m dealing with a severe case of bumblefoot too and I change her foot dressing daily. I put iodine on as the last step and that encourages it to stay dry to form a scab for the next time I can remove it. Sometimes the body encapsulates the infected material to wall it off. It helps to prevent the infected material from spreading, but this is called a granuloma when it becomes a chronic thing. It doesn’t have infected material inside but it’s a very large tumor-like lesion on the foot. I’m a nurse who likes wound care so I don’t mind the routine at all, but if I can get it to heal it will be quite a long time. I’ve been working on it since December. The smaller lesion is the other foot.
Keep at it daily! Btw the vet tape is best: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K2T736J?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Attachments

• DBD1AF58-2DE6-4AEB-B48C-DDDCE357795C.jpeg
    DBD1AF58-2DE6-4AEB-B48C-DDDCE357795C.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 8CDB715C-B444-4349-88E4-E9CE1F13B952.jpeg
    8CDB715C-B444-4349-88E4-E9CE1F13B952.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 0C78B3B7-093F-4815-A775-3FB16599A1D8.jpeg
    0C78B3B7-093F-4815-A775-3FB16599A1D8.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom