Bumblefoot?

From past experiences and constant vet visits, I have learned that there are various type of infections that can cause bumble foot and that how it develops can be different each time.

Sometimes you'll get the kernel, sometimes it's puss...and other times the marbling you described. I have learned that when it's the marbling type, it's best to treat with antibiotics and soaks. The medicine will help kill the infection and once that happens, the soaks will draw it to the surface. The swelling should then go down.

From past experiences and constant vet visits, I have learned that there are various type of infections that can cause bumble foot and that how it develops can be different each time.

Sometimes you'll get the kernel, sometimes it's puss...and other times the marbling you described. I have learned that when it's the marbling type, it's best to treat with antibiotics and soaks. The medicine will help kill the infection and once that happens, the soaks will draw it to the surface. The swelling should then go down.
Thank you!! This is very helpful!!!

This looks like what my white Peking went through and in the end it was a callus that formed and as they described it, “the duck feels like she is walking with a marble in her shoe” they cleaned up the dead skin and cut a piece of foam and shaped it like a bunion pad or cushion and wrapped her foot up and had to keep it dry for 7 days.

My poor, sweet Pekin, Annabelle, has a foot issue that never goes away. We noticed she was limping last spring and found that her foot pad was very swollen and had a rock hard scab about the size of a dime. We did all the usual bumblefoot things except cutting her foot open. We also gave her antibiotics. It got bettter but never went away. We treated it all summer.

She has started limping again, so I picked her up today and her foot looks exactly like it did last year.

The thing is, there never was any pus or plug. Just a hard, brownish black scab and a very swollen foot pad. There was / is some white marbling that comes out with tweezers. It is solid.

I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing for her.

The pics below are before and after pulling off the scab (which seems more like a callous than a scab.)View attachment 2999044

Any thoughts are welcome.
I think that your duck has a granuloma.

Some small cuts or wounds heal up unnoticed on their own. Many develop an abscess full of cheesy pus that we call bumblefoot. Some cuts can heal with granulation tissue coming up to fill the space where there was a thorn or pus. That is how the skin comes together when there has been a cut. I think that in your ducks case the granulation tissue has over grown. When that happens in humans, we use silver nitrate to burn the surface, to stop more granulation tissue forming and to allow the skin to close.

Back
Top Bottom