Bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scooterschicks, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Haunted55

Haunted55 Songster

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    To post a picture, I put it onto my computer, then at the top of the post box, you will see the little picture square? Right up there with the quotes, smiley face.... Click on that and just follow the directions from there. There may be other ways to do it, but that's what I do.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

3. scooterschicks

scooterschicks Hatching

Jan 26, 2009
    Thank you Haunted55. Walmart did not even have it behind the pharmacy counter. You have to remember we live in the country, Walmart is a 15 minute drive and if the folks around here have no idea what this iodine is for then they have no need and therefore Walmart does not stock it. That is why I researched the difference in iodine and felt something was better than nothing. My thoughts were the longer I delay the worse she is going to get. I will try and find the antibiotic. The feed store sold me Tetroxy HCA 280 when I told them I was trying to purchase Tylan oral dosage which I had read from a duck rescue individual and they didn't have it. But we didn't try it because everywhere I was reading kept saying if it doesn't say you can treat ducks then don't use it. I figured because it said to use on chickens I could use it on ducks. Again, I've never had to treat sick birds....we have been very fortunate. Oh, and I would not give her the iodine orally...lol...no, but it will give her a rush just like it does to us if we get too much and that's whether we ingest or apply topically. I will post pictures now that you both have been kind enough to help my computer ineptness ;)....hey I'm trying, so I get a gold star for effort. Thank you again for all the help, we'll get her through it and if you can tell me if I can use the antibiotic I have or I even have amoxicillan...can I use that and then how much do I give to her. Do I just put in her water dish for both of them to drink or use a syringe?

4. Haunted55

Haunted55 Songster

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Lol, okay, I live in the woods and I know all about having to drive, but anyways...I am going to give you a link. It has all kinds of meds for poultry listed. The drug you have is a tetracycline drug and I can find no indications to tell me it can't be used with ducks. I even checked Storey's Guide. You don't have a Tractor Supply near you? If you did it would make your life easier as they have about everything you could need. I always grab the Duramycin-10 for the first line of defense here. Another tetracycline form. On the package you have it must give the dosing for chickens, I would go by that. Unfortunately, most places do not do a break down for ducks or geese. They are lumped in with 'poultry'. Nice huh? If it's all you can get, then I would try it. Watch!!! I can't stress this enough!!!! If you see anything to make you think it may be causing problems stop it. Do you have activated charcoal? If you did and you saw something a little off after the dosing, you could give her that to clean it up. I don't think you will have a problem with it though as i know others have used Oxytetracycline with their ducks and this is about the same. As for the decolorized iodine, I'd ask Wally to order it for you right at the pharmacy there. They are always ordering me things and it costs no more for them or me. WalMart gets the stuff, your store may just not carry it. They can still get it. www.simplehomeremedies.com is the supplier for WalMart and you can find all the info there you'd need for the pharmacist to order it in for you. If you don't have activated charcoal right now, ask them for that as well.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

Now to be honest, I am not sure the amoxicillian would work well. The trouble with antibiotics is yes, they all work, but some work better in getting to the places we need them than others. If it was all you had, then go for it. Tetracycline though is better for getting outward into the tissue than penicillian would be. I'm not explaining this well but hopefully you get the idea. [​IMG]

5. scooterschicks

scooterschicks Hatching

Jan 26, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first picture is of her and Nibbles in our koi pond. Neither have been in the pond since she started limping and you can see Bubbles is the one with all the feathers ruffled. She had a hard time swimming and dunking herself and her feathers were all ruffled like this the entire time we kept her in the pond. Then we had to help her get out...she didn't have the strength in the leg. I was relieved she was eating algae and some of the plants in there. The swelling is down this morning.

6. scooterschicks

scooterschicks Hatching

Jan 26, 2009
    Well Haunted55, I do have a Tractor Supply in a nearby town and I called and guess what....they are out of it. He recommended penicillin lol. Okay, you've scared me with the Tetracycline, so now do I wait or take my chance and give it to her. How about pouring the DMSO, which is an excellent carrier through the skin and then place the Tetracycline on top of it so it can carry it through to the site? Then maybe if she has a bad reaction, it might not be so bad because she didn't ingest and went into the site? I did not ask the feed store for Duramycin, maybe they have it. Do you think I can wait it out until tomorrow when they are open? We put her back in her pen and she is picking at it...so she may just help us out here. Can bumbles cause them to be this off kilter, even in the water like she was with no pressure on it. My son feels that because she hasn't been walking on it that the leg is getting stiff and that is why she was having trouble in the water. Can they drown without the use of the foot. Although I'll say she did use the foot to scratch at the gland on top of her head. Not for long but she was able to use it a bit.

7. Haunted55

Haunted55 Songster

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Tomorrow is soon enough, either way you already have the tetracycline so whatever you use will be good. Don't be scared....the bumble you show is an easy one to treat. Trust me. Get her the tetracycline either the Duarmycin or the stuff you have. Put the iodine you have on it and call Wally and have them order the decolorized in for you. Even if it has gone systemic, you still have time. One thing I wanted to ask... can you get your hands on some human Cipro or can you order the Baytril? This stuff will knock out most anything. I used it to 'cure' my duck with botulism. Yes cure. If you can get your hands on this stuff, it will do more than the Duramycin as it is much more broad spectrum than the tetracaycline. It's like bringing a bazooka to a water ballon fight. If you can't order it in, or have some on hand, use the tetracycline and give it to her for 10 days at 1/2 tbls per gallon of water. If after 4 days, you aren't seeing improvement, up the dose to 1 tbls per gallon and finish the 10 day course. Every 3-4 days, pull the scab and see if you can get any of the hard pus out of there. This will help with the overall infection. A word to the wise...even if she seems better after a few days on the antibiotics, do not stop. Go the full 10 days no matter what. This is the best help I can give you and what I would do for my own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: