Bumblefoot

scooterschicks

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Hello to All,
For the first time ever we (my son and I) are on the duck site. Have always visited the chicken site (lots of chickens here), but we adopted two Pekin ducks and are in the learning process. We have what I call a pretty serious case of bumblefoot which is about the size of a nickel. Bubbles was doing good, we thought we had it under control with triple antibiotic ointment but it got worse overnight. She was able to walk and keep up with Nibbles until I tried to remove the black scab. All I could think about was the pain she was enduring while I'm trying to pull this thing off. But now, she hobbles, holds her wing out to balance herself and teeters back and forth. So, I quit trying to remove the scab, soaked in epsom salts, applied DMSO, antibiotic ointment and then wrapped. I thought maybe she is off kilter because it's wrapped and throwing her off balance. Do I proceed with removing that scab and puss, as we do bumblefoot on a chicken or keep dressing like I am doing? I have read some scary threads on oral antibiotics. She also does not want to eat...drinking water but no food and I saw some links on here about oatmeal and mashed peas so we are going to give that a whirl. Any help would be greatly appreciated! God Bless! Scooter and mom

Hello to All,
For the first time ever we (my son and I) are on the duck site. Have always visited the chicken site (lots of chickens here), but we adopted two Pekin ducks and are in the learning process. We have what I call a pretty serious case of bumblefoot which is about the size of a nickel. Bubbles was doing good, we thought we had it under control with triple antibiotic ointment but it got worse overnight. She was able to walk and keep up with Nibbles until I tried to remove the black scab. All I could think about was the pain she was enduring while I'm trying to pull this thing off. But now, she hobbles, holds her wing out to balance herself and teeters back and forth. So, I quit trying to remove the scab, soaked in epsom salts, applied DMSO, antibiotic ointment and then wrapped. I thought maybe she is off kilter because it's wrapped and throwing her off balance. Do I proceed with removing that scab and puss, as we do bumblefoot on a chicken or keep dressing like I am doing? I have read some scary threads on oral antibiotics. She also does not want to eat...drinking water but no food and I saw some links on here about oatmeal and mashed peas so we are going to give that a whirl. Any help would be greatly appreciated! God Bless! Scooter and mom
Hi and Welcome, I would not try to pull the scab off yet, go ahead and continue soaking in ES then as soon as you can get some Decolorized Iodine, better than the reg. I got some at CVS. soak her foot dry then apply the iodine. let it have a chance to go to work by about 3 days, then look at it and post some pics. Does it feel hot like it has gone septic? You may end up putting her on antibiotic but try this first, I treated one of my chickens and she has completely healed. Don't put anything else on her bumble after you get the iodine just soaking and the decolorized iodine.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-on-treatment-with-pictures/10#post_11743468 Haunted has had great success doing this with her ducks.

If you could, would you please post some pictures? I've had them get large as well and the treatment is mostly the same. That's why I'm asking for the pictures, to see if is something to just paint with the colorless iodine or if it needs more. Also need to know if the legs feel at all warm as if there might be an infection.

If you could, would you please post some pictures? I've had them get large as well and the treatment is mostly the same. That's why I'm asking for the pictures, to see if is something to just paint with the colorless iodine or if it needs more. Also need to know if the legs feel at all warm as if there might be an infection.

So it's called colorless iodine and I am saying decolorized wonder where I got that from
tongue.png

Thank you all for the replies. We have been on here since we posted this afternoon looking for answers and Haunted55 we have read your past posts and have sent grandma to Walmart to get, what I called, clear iodine. I have Lugols, but I thought I better not use it. Miss Lydia, I really do not want to pull that off. We tried this a year ago with one of our turkeys and he died two days later. Awful experience because we didn't know if we caused it or not. Luckily, I can say we have never had any trouble with all the chickens, guineas and peacocks we have/had....a pray it stays that way...and they are all free range including the ducks. But with the recent activity of red hawks we may have to rethink all that. Anyway, we both have felt her legs and the one is not too much warmer than the other, but it is a bit warmer. Should we give the antibiotics as a precaution. We took oatmeal to her tonight and they both were scared to death of it and are staying in the corner. And when we penned Bubbles and put Nibbles in there with her we see she has three scabs on her foot....geez. Does this happen because they are so heavy? What about those duck booties...has anyone tried them. Just make them a part of everyday living for them. I wonder if it would be be bad as they might trap moisture. Now a silly question here....how on earth do I post a picture lol. I cannot seem to find a post a picture here button. Sorry, but if someone could spell it out for us we will get some pictures on here of her foot. Thank you again and God Bless you all!

Okay so Walmart nor Walgreens had decolorized iodine. However, I have researched those two types of iodine and the only true difference I can find is decolorized is a tincture base, using alcohol, and Lugol's uses water. So, other than having a brown spot on her foot, which she already has, I am going to use the Lugol's since those are the only pharmacies in these country backwoods. I'd have to drive an hour away to get a better selection of pharmacies. Hey, we tried. If I had three months on my side I'd make the decolorized myself lol. Now the big question one drop or two as she will be getting a real rush of iodine in her system and we are supposing since everyone is using the iodine that it does not hurt the ducks, unless everyone is diluting it. Throw out some thoughts for us. Have a peaceful evening everyone!

Just want to say that we checked on her just now, before we head to bed and she is panting. Do ducks pant? So, I'm assuming she's in pain. Did not touch the oatmeal either. We will try the peas tomorrow. I guess we are going to have to tackle removing it tomorrow and pray all goes well.

Okay so Walmart nor Walgreens had decolorized iodine. However, I have researched those two types of iodine and the only true difference I can find is decolorized is a tincture base, using alcohol, and Lugol's uses water. So, other than having a brown spot on her foot, which she already has, I am going to use the Lugol's since those are the only pharmacies in these country backwoods. I'd have to drive an hour away to get a better selection of pharmacies. Hey, we tried. If I had three months on my side I'd make the decolorized myself lol. Now the big question one drop or two as she will be getting a real rush of iodine in her system and we are supposing since everyone is using the iodine that it does not hurt the ducks, unless everyone is diluting it. Throw out some thoughts for us. Have a peaceful evening everyone!

No the difference is ammonia. The decolorized iodine is in an ammonia base and it with the iodine is what does it. If you choose to use the regular brown iodine, you will find it takes way longer to work. Others have tried it and not had the results that you get with the decolorized. Your choice. As for making it yourself...doubtful. The iodine used isn't what we can normally get and I don't know that just adding some to the treatment would help. I wouldn't do it myself.

If you're getting even slight heat in one of the legs, then I would say it is going systemic and yes, an antibiotic is needed. I would use Duramycin-10 if you have it or can get it. If this happened to a turkey, and it died, I'd say that it was already into the bones.

I'm not quite sure about your question about the one drop or two. You paint the bumble, you let it dry and then you wait days before you do it again. If you read my thread, you know it was 6 days after the initial painting of the lump that produced those results in the picture. In this amount of time, there is no chance of overdose with the iodine. I checked very carefully as my ducks are my loves. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize their health and well-being. For a minute, I thought you might be asking about giving it internally.

Soak the bird...I put mine in the tub with plain warm water as I want them to not only be clean, but the skin to soften. I usually give them a half hour. No hardship for them and gives me time to get everything together.

When done soaking, wrap and dry with a towel and get into some good light so you can see the foot well. Where you see the bumbles or what even could be a bumble, paint them with the iodine on top and around the lump, so that the whole bumble is covered with the iodine. Let it dry, blowing on it helps and seems to calm the ducks. No clue why, just silly little guys I guess. Once dry, you can either let them go back with the others, or put them into a dog crate, whatever, to keep them fairly clean. Wait 4-5 days and then do it again. This time there should be a scab you can pull and see if there is pus under it to pull out as well. Clean, dry and paint again with the iodine.

As you will be giving an antibiotic as well, you should be okay. It's funny, I got my decolorized iodine at WalMart. Small bottle right on the shelf next to the regular stuff. I'd ask them to get it in for you. It doesn't cast anymore and the stuff is great to have.

Back
Top Bottom