Bummer....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frozen Feathers, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well I am totally bummed!! [​IMG]

I think my eggs got too cold en-route, the only thing I can think of since they were packaged perfectly. The majority of them didn't develop at all but the ones I did check were fertile, so I don't think that was the issue. Maybe they were tossed around too much by the PO?? I did let them sit a day though. [​IMG]

So far I do have one very adorable chick who is very healthy and had no problem hatching, a splash I believe and 4 more I'm [​IMG] hoping will hatch.

Well, I guess that's what I get for ordering eggs this late in the year. I need to move to a warmer state!!

Will try again in the Spring.

2. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    Bummer [​IMG]

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Sorry Angie. That stinks.

I hear ya on shipping. I'd love to start another batch but it's too cold here. No more
    heartbreak hatches....

4. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I'm sorry, it's quite cold now, I think I'll wait til spring too. :|

5. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    That stinks!

I think my PO is really rough on eggs. The last batch I got 5 out of 15 were completely broken, another had a big crack in it, yet another had a tiny crack.. and out of the rest, all but 2 had wonky floating air cells. I managed to hatch one.. a boy I think. It stinks. I'm SO glad I got him (even though he's a he), but it was pretty disappointing to realize the rest of the eggs didn't really have a chance. Also didn't help that the PO held the eggs for a week, and the box arrived dented and abused.

I hope cold temps are only a teeny part.. I have a set that's shipping out for me on Monday.. hopefully though they make it in ok shape. This is the last batch I'm ordering until Spring.. I don't want anybody to freeze en-route. (and I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that these guys stay warm enough). Now I'll be worrying all week. ARG!

Better luck in the spring, Angie.

Meghan

6. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    Oh, Angie, that is a bummer! I think I have the same thing going on here. I had some shipped to me on the Monday of Thanksgiving week (what was I thinking?!) and they didn't get here til that Friday. They were cold to the touch when I unpacked them, felt like they had been in a refrigerator. They were well packed in bubblewrap with lots of "stuffing" all around them, but still cold. I went ahead and set them, but I'm not holding out alot of hope for them. Tomorrow is day 7 so I'll candle then. Fingers crossed, both for mine and the other four you have. [​IMG]

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well here s/he is. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A duckwing maybe?? I was thinking splash but as you can see s/he is is more brown and has distinct markings. Tough little cookie, still no signs from the other 4. [​IMG]

8. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Angie,

At least you got a cutie!

[​IMG] for your other eggs. Maybe they'll pull through!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by