Bump on chicks head

cherieangelle

Songster
Mar 8, 2023
The other day my chick started missing some hair on its head & its eye was closed. I rinsed its head off bc they were covered in chick feed bc I’ve been putting water in their feed & they dunk their heads in it. Its eye opened back up & looked fine, now its bald spot on its head is swollen. It was shaking its head this morning & I wiped some white gunk out of it.
Any idea what this could be??? & what do I need to do?!

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpeg
    IMG_1770.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1773.jpeg
    IMG_1773.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1772.jpeg
    IMG_1772.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1774.jpeg
    IMG_1774.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1776.jpeg
    IMG_1776.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1777.jpeg
    IMG_1777.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 8
Could be signs of a respiratory disease, pecking, or possibly fowl pox. Have you seen mosquitoes near the chicks? I would clean the eye with saline or water, and apply some Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment to the eye twice a day.

Could be signs of a respiratory disease, pecking, or possibly fowl pox. Have you seen mosquitoes near the chicks? I would clean the eye with saline or water, and apply some Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment to the eye twice a day.
I was thinking pecking at first like maybe they just pulled her feathers off that certain spot bc maybe there was a lot of chicken feed on its head right there but I will def do neosporin!

Look for any drainage or crust from nostril or eyes, or eye bubbles. Those could be signs of a respiratory disease. Hopefully, the swollen eye is from pecking. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom