bumps on my chickens eyes and beaks and eye swollen shut! has anyone seen this?

My banty hen had fowl pox when her eggs hatched. Three weeks later, two of the three chicks died with bumps on their beaks. The third is still alive but has bumps also. Mamma is fine. New to me.

My chicken has such swollen parts in the eyelids and beaks av given them antibiotics but the situation is getting worse... kindly advice

My chicken has such swollen parts in the eyelids and beaks av given them antibiotics but the situation is getting worse... kindly advice

Can you post any pics?
Isolate her if you haven't done so and put her in a warm, quiet place.
Is she able to drink or eat?
Any other symptoms such as wheezing, sneezing, labored breathing, lethargic?

Can somebody please help me my chicken has a bump on the bottom of it solid I don't know what it is or how to take care of it

I have one hen that has both eyes swollen shut and has three, two to three day old babies. She is still taking good care of her babies but seams to lay around a lot with them under her wing. It is cool here at this time.
Should I do anything to help her or will trying to help her when she is with her little ones stress her out to much? Two days ago I did have to break her and another hen up who were fighting over the babies
I do not know if it's because she was weak or if the other hen was just jealous.
Can some please give me advice. As I have never come across this before. FYI. None of my other chickens seem to have this.
So I'm not sure if it's because of the other hen who beat her up or if it is something more

Welcome to BYC. Does she have other symptoms of a possible respiratory disease, such as watery/foamy eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, or gasping? Does she have any white or pus material in the eyes? Has she been pecked around her eyes? If she is sick with a respiratory disease, she will infect the chicks, and they could have already been exposed. If she is sick, I would separate the chicks into a heated brooder. If she has been pecked, I would place her and the chicks in an extra large crate or pen close to food and water. Clean her eyes with saline, and apply some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment to the eyes twice a day.

My husband said that he did see a hen pecking at her eye. Haven't niticed any discharge or wheezing. We have separated her with her babies with food and water. How much neosporin do I use twice a day ( thick or thin) and for how long and is it ok if it gets into her eye ? My husband was concerned it looks to him like at least one of her eyes my have been pecked out Not sure though
Thank you for all of your help and in taking the time to respond to my question

Swollen eyes can look like the eyeball is missing, but after swelling goes down, usually the eye is still intact. The Neosporin should be applied inside the eye, and only a tiny bit is needed, since it melts all over with body heat. An 1/8th of an inch is plenty, and just pull up the upper or pull down the lower lid to get it in there, twice a day. Your welcome for the answers. When she is seeing again after her eye swelling goes down, open her gate and then let her take the chicks out to roam around when she is ready. I have a Polish hen who is blind in one eye from a peck injury, but the eyeball is intact.

Back
Top Bottom