BUNGALOW BUNGLE FINAL TOUCHES HOPEFULLY SOON SEE END OF THREAD

We built our coop, but we caulked up the seam between the nesting boxes and the wall of the coop, and then we added a strip of the rubber molding that they use in schools and such as baseboard. It was the perfect width, and we used two pieces so together they were long enough. We caulked the heck under it, and screwed it on. The rubber is actually the hinge on our nesting box lid. It works great! Just an idea.

Yeah, its weird how it looks bigger than the picture. I started looking at coops on line and they just wanted to much dang money. I started building the peach parlor off of some plans I downloaded off the internet but the a frame was 60 degrees which was ridiculous because you just waste to much room at the top. So I started making it 45 degrees and pretty soon I just abandoned the prints altogether. Today, I bought my 3rd 100 foot roll of wire at 300 bucks a pop, Im up to almost 1000 bucks in wire alone. I bought the really sturdy stuff, like 16 gauge and 1/2 by 1 inch squares. Not even a large bug can get in this thing. They told me at feathered haven not to even bother with regular chicken wire, the octagon looking stuff. The raccoons will chew right thru it.The only thing thats missing now is a gun turret.
So TODAY I nearly had a cow, make that an OX. I went in the Tractor Store and saw a dog house that could totally be converted into a coop for 138 bucks. I could have bought two of these things and put them together and had twice as big of a coop for half the price.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/ware-manufacturing-premium-doghouse-large-1039751 CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he.gif
Do you have a Tractor Store anywhere near you???? Dang I wish I would have seen this, the whole top opens up like a giant lid, it would be a snap to clean out. The top is also weatherproof, and all one peice, which makes it pretty much leak proof. Im going to start putting the Bungalow together tonight.
Im getting a headache thinking about the dog house at the Tractor Store. You could totally modify it, put some perches inside, put a removable peice of plexiglasssor down on the bottom to protect the wood from the chicken poo, or better yet just make a removable lift out try so you can just dump it and hose it off. Cut a window in with a jigsaw and cover it with wire mesh for ventilation. This is killing me. I could put 4 of those things together and make tunnel inbetween all of them.
he.gif
AAAHAHHHHHHHH!!!! Anyway, I'll take some more pictures after I get the Bungalow put together. Im thinking I might even have to anchor it down if I feel like it doesnt weigh enough, it can get pretty stormy here sometimes. Let me know what you think about the dog house!
I checked out the doghouse. It would make a great coop. Also, one could put it up on post and put wire around it and make a great run. I got lots of ideas for that dog house. Wish you could have seen it first before buying the other product. I went by my local co-op and saw what they had. Was I surprised at the size and craftsmanship (if any). Good luck.

We built our coop, but we caulked up the seam between the nesting boxes and the wall of the coop, and then we added a strip of the rubber molding that they use in schools and such as baseboard. It was the perfect width, and we used two pieces so together they were long enough. We caulked the heck under it, and screwed it on. The rubber is actually the hinge on our nesting box lid. It works great! Just an idea
Thats a good idea! Thats part of the problem too is that the roof that covers the nesting boxes that butts up to the side of the coop is hinged so it has to be movable. I actually have some rubber baseboard that Im supposed to be installing in my bathroom. Guess where its going to end up?

Well the people from My Pet Chicken called me today and seem
very interested in correcting the problem with the Bungalow leaking
which is very encouraging. They said its a pretty new design so I will work with
them to see if we can find a solution. I'll keep everyone posted.

So I just sent the My Pet Chicken people pictures of all of the leaky points and other problems. They seem very interested in correcting the issues, although I will have to fix these things myself, as there is NO WAY Im going to take this thing apart and send it back. I think I have a fix for the leaks, I'll post pics of the final enchilada when I get done and I'll also post anymore feedback I get from the My Pet Chicken people. Their customer service has been excellent so far and Im very encouraged that they are interested in knowing what the problems are so they can fix it, so I am working with them to help them out. I am surprised tho, that nobody did a little QC on this thing but we'll see what happens.

About 7 years ago we built our first coop. It was 4 ft by 6 ft with a slanted roof. Costed us less than $200. 2 years ago we built a bigger better coop thats 10 by 12 and 10 1/2 ft tall with a 4 ft cedar deck on the front, 5 windows that we picked up brand new for $10 each. we have over 2 grand into it already, probably reach 3 grand or more by the time we get the electric run to it (around 200 ft from the house to the coop) The run is another 19 by 22 ft made up of 6 ft high dog kennel panels that we obtained FREE :). I have seen people buy these chicken coops online and be sooooooo disappointed after the fact. For $500 I could have built a really nice 8 by 10 coop!

RATS RATS RATS. The more I look at this thing the more depressed I get. The only way to make this thing weatherproof is to cover the entire thing with shingles. I looked up inside today and I can see day light coming thru in the roof in at least two places. Im seriously thinking about either taking it apart and seeing if I can return it or sell it for someone to use as indoor birdhouse.

Kim,

Thanks for all your updates. Because of this, I've decided to build my coop. I'm grumpy about it but I think it will be vastly better than anything I can buy. I priced out all the materials and it will be about $750 to $800 to build. This includes some pretty nice pine siding and does not include the roof and paint. The roof will probably cost me if I want it to match the roof of my house.

I guess there isn't a good pre made coop out there. Even modifying would be hard for me, I need it to be so tall.

Back
Top Bottom