Bunnies and Dogs???

SilkieLady6

Chirping
Oct 28, 2016
Washington State
I'm planning on fostering two adult, pet bunnies for a friend, however i do have a dog and a cat, both know to have killed their fair share of wild rabbits. Both my cat and dog get along well with our chickens (sort of :p) My main concern is the rabbits getting too stressed out with a cat and dog trying to get into their crate. Also I've never owned rabbits, I could use some tips on basic care as well.

Its very sweet of you to be a foster mom! Of possible, I would keep the crate in a closed room, and introduce the cat and dog individually, and gradually. Less stress for all. Also, giving the rabbits a hiding place helps. Even a cardboard box in the crate works. Good luck!

we have some angoras and are fine with are dogs and are cats. are cats leave them alone because there so big. yes bunnies need lots of hide outs just to make them feel safe. they do need lots to chew on if they dont there teeth can get over grown and thats not healthy. things you can use for chew toys

toliet paper rolls, strawhats that aren't treated, tissue boxs, and sticks that you find out side make sure they aren't that old

and make sure you don't give them yogurt treats they have to much suger

Rabbits and chickens really bring out the prey drive in dogs. Make sure the rabbits are in a secure place where the dogs can't get at them.

if you are simply fostering, I would keep your dogs and cats away from them as much as possble and never leave them alone if you aren't sure 100% that they won't be a problem.
Dogs can definitely scare rabbits to death if they are too hyper. And cats reaching through bars can scratch and easily become infected.

That said, chasing (and even eating) wild rabbits doesn't equate to not learning to live happily with domestic rabbits

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom