Bunnies for meat.......

Quote:
I raised Flemish Giants for a while, while a meat breed technically they honestly do not dress out with meat to bone, they are more bone than meat.
production for a flemish is to grow bone density not meat and muscle, you would think as large as the breed is that it would be more meat, not the fact.

New Zelands and Americans are a good cross as long as they are meat production only. as I said in another post crossing breeds to improve something is ok BUT make sure they do not return to the Show Circut or someones Show breeding stock.

Satin /NewZeland crosses are also another great Meat producer.

Calafornians / NewZeland crosses again great meat production

Silver Fox/New Zeland another great meat producer

Please keep in mind each of any breed will produce meat rabbits you do not necessarily have to cross them with any other breed.

Satin to Satin , great meat producer,
American to American great producer( also rare breed best to be bred only to their own breed)
Silver Fox to SilverFox 65 % meat to bone ratio, again bred to its own breed and a rare breed.
Standard Chinchilla, American Chinchilla and Giant Chinchilla, again rare breeds and again geat meat producers when bred to their own breed.
the list goes on and on. but I think you get my meaning.

Thank you for the information.

Quote:
I raised Flemish Giants for a while, while a meat breed technically they honestly do not dress out with meat to bone, they are more bone than meat.
production for a flemish is to grow bone density not meat and muscle, you would think as large as the breed is that it would be more meat, not the fact.

New Zelands and Americans are a good cross as long as they are meat production only. as I said in another post crossing breeds to improve something is ok BUT make sure they do not return to the Show Circut or someones Show breeding stock.

Satin /NewZeland crosses are also another great Meat producer.

Calafornians / NewZeland crosses again great meat production

Silver Fox/New Zeland another great meat producer

Please keep in mind each of any breed will produce meat rabbits you do not necessarily have to cross them with any other breed.

Satin to Satin , great meat producer,
American to American great producer( also rare breed best to be bred only to their own breed)
Silver Fox to SilverFox 65 % meat to bone ratio, again bred to its own breed and a rare breed.
Standard Chinchilla, American Chinchilla and Giant Chinchilla, again rare breeds and again geat meat producers when bred to their own breed.
the list goes on and on. but I think you get my meaning.

Wow thank you everyone for such awesome information! The links are great thank you FoxonFire and Gypsy. So much awesome info just on this thread I have made a ton of notes already.

bun.gif

Flemish Giants are a TERRIBLE breed to use for meat. They take a really long time to reach sexual maturity (a year) they are mostly bone with very little meat and they are expensive to feed. OH you also have to have specialized cages because they get sore hocks often because of their sheer size.

I recommend New Zealands, Californians, etc. They are inexpensive, good feed to meat conversion, good mothers and they produce large litters.

Good luck!

Here is my favorite rabbit recipie....
Cut the rabbit into 6 or so pieces and coat with flour. Quickly pan fry them in a little oil until outside is golden brown. Sprinkle with a bit of seasoning salt and pepper.

Wrap the pieces in bacon and lay them out in a cake pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake slow and low until it is fork tender.

YUMMY!!!

Just to note I ended up getting New Zealands and am pretty pleased so far I have one buck and two does. Thanks again!

Quote:
Flemish get really fat too. I have trouble keeping fat off of them. My does have fat rolls hanging from their thighs. And they seem to have more of a layover issue with bunnies than other breeds do. Out of litter, we sometimes loose as many as half the bunnies in the nest just from the weight of Mom laying on them.

That too..They SAY that Californians are the Angus of the meat world. With a better taste to the meat.. I never thought so. I did rabbits I usually crossed NZ to Calis. I did a FlemishxNz then bred the babies to a californian for a "terminal cross" and they grew out in about 6-8 weeks with good size and good flavor. I don't know if anyone mentioned it but there is an awsome book titled rabbit production. Its grey w/ a big white rabbit on it. has great information.

I say the look is like chicken but its really mild with a slightly sweet flavor. Its really good. I did dumplings and fried it all the time.

Good luck on your rabbit endevour!!

We are anxiously waiting our first litter. Seems there are alot of people raising their own food these days between economic and health concerns. I may take up offers to explain butchering once we are at that point. I am excited about all our new venutres. Chickens for meat and eggs and rabbits for the meat.....both to fetilize my garden!!

Back
Top Bottom