Burying hardware cloth---too difficult?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CrotonChickens, Jul 7, 2011.

1. CrotonChickens

CrotonChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Hi all -- we are in the throws of finishing up our coop and my DH is now at the point of digging the trench to bury the hardware cloth. We are extremely nervous about predators so will be burying about 8" deep. Question -- what is the easiest way to do this or is there just no easier way other than digging with a shovel and then deeper with a pick axe? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- there are a lot of 'f' bombs being dropped up near the coop!!

Many thanks.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    UGH, I hate digging too! Unless you blast it with a grenade, ya just gotta dig. [​IMG]

Maybe you can pay some teenage boys to do the digging, if you don't have your own boys.....Kids will do anything for a few bucks.

3. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

instead of burying deep - I have read about laying it flat out 2 feet and covering with mulch.
    No digging necessary [​IMG]

4. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:I don't bury my aprons. I just put it on the ground and the grass grows up from under. After a year or so, you can't even see the wire. I also don't use hardware cloth for aprons. I use what I call hog-wire instead. It is much heavier gauge, and a lot cheaper. The openings are 2"x4", but will stop coons, dogs etc from digging.

Dave

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    many people skirt the hardware mesh then line the skirt with good size rocks . grass grows up through mesh . this is what I have done lord knows we had plenty of rocks laying around that would have to be a strong coon. something else I have read is with the skirt using ther landscaping timbers & drill using .rebar to anchor . just a couple sugesstions.

6. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I like the skirting idea, my farrier did that and used worn horse shoes to anchor it at the bottom of the coop. You can ask for them, most will give them away.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  7. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Definately lay it on the ground. I also saw one chicken coop where the lady took old lumber (long lengths) she had laying around and made a walkway all the way around her coop by laying the lumber flat on the ground kinda like a deck. She had a dry walkway all year long and predators couldn't dig thru the wood. You can use plumbers straping to hold all the boards together, voila!.

Lanae

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I used the apron method AND added electric fence.

9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:This is what we do.. too many limestone rocks and tree roots to bother with digging..

10. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Quote:We are talking about just using the Electric fence.... but I think I also like the idea of an apron!

Good Suggestions all! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by