Busy garden weekend!!

DramaBrahmaMama

Songster
Mar 11, 2022
Knoxville, IA
We are getting the garden straightened out...FINALLY!! It has been put on the back burner since we needed to get the coop and run finished, and I was finishing up school. But we got in there this weekend and got it almost completely done!!! And it looks AMAZING!!! The fence will go up next weekend. These are all boxes from the reclaimed wood that we also did our coop out of!

Attachments

• garden1.jpg
    garden1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 3
  • garden2.jpg
    garden2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3
  • garden3.jpg
    garden3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 4
  • garden4.jpg
    garden4.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 2
  • garden5.jpg
    garden5.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3
  • garden6.jpg
    garden6.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 3
  • garden7.jpg
    garden7.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 3
Love the “no bend” raised beds! Save the back and knees!
It's a must! Let's be real about it... If I'm uncomfortable or hurt myself I will spend less time doing it, if any at all. This way... No excuses!! 🤣😂🤣 But seriously, I have RA... so bending for extended periods of time isn't an option. And if I was to get down on the ground... I'd be there waiting for someone to come home and get me up. The tall bed at the back was our first attempt. Way too tall... to fill. But perfect for absolutely no bend. So we cut down the rest, filled them all with straw bales and cardboard. But that one is my favorite. All my pollinators are going in that one.

If/when I build something similar (hoping my free scrap lumber source reappears) I’m thinking the same thing with hay/wood/cardboard in the bottom huegelmound style.
So keep this in mind then... Once you fill the rest of the box with your chosen dirt.... The corners will sink. Each of our boxes holds 2 sm square straw bales. Then I laid cardboard over the straw. Then I filled the rest w/ dirt. I assume the weight of the dirt pushed the cardboard down in the corners. So... Maybe initially, just add some extra dirt to the corners. I got most of them planted, and then went out after the rain and each box had at least 1 corner sunken. 🤷‍♀️ Not a huge deal, but at first I thought I had a critter! 😂🤣😂🤣

Back
Top Bottom