But Mommy, It's Still DARK!

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
We have to leave for work/school at a quarter to 7 so I have to open up and let the ladies out about 20 till. It's still pretty dim out but instead of staying asleep they start getting up and coming outside -- the two floor-sleepers first and then the perched birds.

Then they stand there just outside the pop door on the ramp or on the block wall looking like they need coffee and don't really know why they're there. :D

We have to leave for work/school at a quarter to 7 so I have to open up and let the ladies out about 20 till. It's still pretty dim out but instead of staying asleep they start getting up and coming outside -- the two floor-sleepers first and then the perched birds.

Then they stand there just outside the pop door on the ramp or on the block wall looking like they need coffee and don't really know why they're there. :D
lol! That’s sooo cute!

In actuality, they are waiting for the sun to come up because it’s safer. Chickens instinctually know dark = predators.

And yet they feel the need to come outside just because I've opened the pop door instead of waiting for the light.

I couldn't get a picture, but their obvious confusion is really funny.

I have the opposite chickens, I can open the coop and they'll stay inside until it's light enough to make their way to the water. Water first, then to the feeder, then off to the fields for bugs, seeds and greens.

Back
Top Bottom