But what am I, then?

mightymax

Songster
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Central Coast, CA

Hi there. I was just wondering if any of you are able to differentiate between the sexes by looking at some photos of two particular subjects. My 2 American Buffs that will be turning 3 months old on Aug. 5th. If so, what kinds of shots would be the most helpful. Head shots, head and body, feet and head...you catch what I'm saying, right? Please let me know or I'll have to post ALL their pics. and nobody has THAT much time!!! Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi there. I was just wondering if any of you are able to differentiate between the sexes by looking at some photos of two particular subjects. My 2 American Buffs that will be turning 3 months old on Aug. 5th. If so, what kinds of shots would be the most helpful. Head shots, head and body, feet and head...you catch what I'm saying, right? Please let me know or I'll have to post ALL their pics. and nobody has THAT much time!!! Thanks for your help in advance!

The one with rounded head (top right and bottom pic) looks to be a gander, the other one I´m in between. It doesn´t have the hunkiness of a gander, but it has quite a coarse face, so in the middle.

@ livininbrazil...Thank you for responding to my question. I agree with both your observations. 1. that the one with the rounded head is a gander, and 2. that the other one could possibly be either.
idunno.gif

Well, since that post, Gus (the round headed gander) has been seen 'nibbling' on the back of the presumed female with the manly features, Gabi, while swimming. I've also seen where he'll lift his foot up and kind of try and place it on her back. Also while swimming.
love.gif
I've witnessed ducks doing similar things right before they mate and I know that geese will mate in the water too, just like ducks. So now I'm REALLY leaning towards calling Gabi a girl goose !!!
ya.gif

So what does everyone think? Are these displays signs of attraction in the goose world and I really DO have a male and a female? Or am I misinterpreting what are actually just normal, everyday goose behaviors?
LivininBrazil, what's your opinion? I'm still too new to geese to be certain. Thanks!

@ livininbrazil...Thank you for responding to my question. I agree with both your observations. 1. that the one with the rounded head is a gander, and 2. that the other one could possibly be either.
idunno.gif

Well, since that post, Gus (the round headed gander) has been seen 'nibbling' on the back of the presumed female with the manly features, Gabi, while swimming. I've also seen where he'll lift his foot up and kind of try and place it on her back. Also while swimming.
love.gif
I've witnessed ducks doing similar things right before they mate and I know that geese will mate in the water too, just like ducks. So now I'm REALLY leaning towards calling Gabi a girl goose !!!
ya.gif

So what does everyone think? Are these displays signs of attraction in the goose world and I really DO have a male and a female? Or am I misinterpreting what are actually just normal, everyday goose behaviors?
LivininBrazil, what's your opinion? I'm still too new to geese to be certain. Thanks!
Just my 2cents but I think at 3 months your just seeing normal goose behavior not mating behavior. I could be wrong though I often am
hmm.png

Yeah, I thought about that too.
hit.gif
...lol l!! I think because I want a male and female so badly, I'm being overly optimistic whenever I see ANY indication that they could be a 'couple'.
love.gif

But Thank You for your reply !!!
goodpost.gif

idunno.gif

love.gif
ya.gif

A male will mount a male. A female will mount a female. The thing to look for is the one underneath.... a female will flatten her back, and lower herself, whereas a male underneath will usually object. However, I do agree with Lydia:
Just my 2cents but I think at 3 months your just seeing normal goose behavior not mating behavior. I could be wrong though I often am
hmm.png
I´ve never seen mine show this behaviour at this age.

When I ordered my original pair, I was constantly worried that my geese were not a pair. Especially when the goose that was supposed to be a girl started mounting the female ducks at about 3-4 months old. I had to wait a few more months. I was so worried that I had 2 ganders. My goose was confusing because she was a large girl and the mounting ducks thing seemed weird. March the following spring She laid an egg thus proving that she was a she. With all of that being said...

I think you have at least one gander the second one could be either. i hope for you, that they are a pair.

How do they behave? In the pictures it seems that the round headed one, gander, seems to be between you and the other goose. Does he always get between you and the other? That to me would be a sign that the other might be a girl. Are their voices different? My gander's voice is much louder and more piercing. The girls have a deeper voice.

The only pic that makes me wonder if it´s a male is the 4th one. In that pic, the neck is arched, and it seems to have a brow. On the other hand, it has quite a fine head. On the other hand, it´s not exactly feminine-looking. I´m on the fence. Time will tell, like Flockman....and like my first ones, where I was sure I had a male and two females, as two were really sweet and dainty, and one was bolshy, confident, and a good bit bigger than the other two. well, I bought more geese, and was surprised to find out this one was a female! Time will tell.

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate the time you took to take a look at my pictures. I guess I'll just have to be more patient (not my strong suit) and give them time to fully mature. Thanks again for your help! I'll let you know what they turn out to be whenever they decide to let me in on their little secret...lol!!!

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate the time you took to take a look at my pictures. I guess I'll just have to be more patient (not my strong suit) and give them time to fully mature. Thanks again for your help! I'll let you know what they turn out to be whenever they decide to let me in on their little secret...lol!!!
When you´re sure of what you have there, let us know won´t you?
If they are a pair, we´ll be needing to see gozzie pics before long!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom