Butcher your own Meat or Pay someone? Raised & Hunted meat

Do you process your own meat or take it somewhere to be done?

• Raised Meat-Do it myself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raised Meat-Pay someone else

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Hunted Game-Do it myself

• Hunted Game-Pay someone else

• Other-Please specify in response

• Total voters
Quote:
Golf ball method?

Yeah...that method came out in the 70s and it really changed the way we skinned our deer. We were processing up to 8 or 9 deer per season and a lot of the time had two hanging at once, so skinning the old way became quite a chore. We had read about this method and tried it and never looked back.

I can show you a pic of the calf mother and I butchered last winter and give you and idea of how it works. Basically you hang by the neck, cape it down a little, slice a line up the inside of each leg after removal of the bottom of the legs. Then insert a golf ball or hammer under the cape, secure with a rope on the opposite side and hitch that rope to a truck, four wheeler, lawn mower, etc. Then pull! The hide comes off slicker than cat poo on linoleum and even skins out the tail at times. Less time spent trying to use a knife and hands on deer that are large and already chilled.

Here's a few pics of the calf~this little old lady is my mother and I would be willing to bet she has gutted and skinned more deer than most men on here combined:

5_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_049.jpg

5_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_053.jpg

5_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_054.jpg

5_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_055.jpg

5_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_056.jpg

We'll have to give that a try next time, as we still have a few tags left. That's Hunter's 5th deer, he has also taken a bear, and he's 14. His little brother has taken 2 deer and he's 11.

We're pretty fastidious about our meat, and never have hair issues. One dirty hand, one knife hand, and it only takes 10 minutes to skin a deer. Always willing to learn something new.

Quote:
I've done it with mine, the trick is to make sure the meat is REALLY cold or it clogs up in the grinder and you spend more time tearing down and cleaning out then you do grinding. We use a couple of the big rectangular tupperware containers (same kind we use for brining fish) and rotate them thru the freezer--as soon as one container of meat warms up to where the grinder is having problems it goes into the freezer and I start grinding out of a fresh, cold one. A Cabelas grinder is on my wish list though and if dh gets two elk again this year (one out of state) he's gonna have to buy us one.

ETA: We don't keep the meat in the freezer long enough for it to get frozen--just really, really cold. The fridge doesn't get it cold enough for the Kitchen-aid grinder to work well.

Last edited:
A Cabelas grinder is on my wish list though and if dh gets two elk again this year (one out of state) he's gonna have to buy us one.

Check Craigslist, and google used resteraunt supplies. Lot of places come in, buy what they need, then don't make it (especially in this economy) and have to sell the equipment. You'd be surprised what you can find used. And in amazing condition too. If you kept your eyes peeled you should be able to find a commerical grade grinder for cheaper than the Cabelas model. At our deer camp we have an old butchers grinder. Its heavy as anything but nothing phases it and we'll process 3 or 4 deer in a day if we have the manpower without it flinching when we grind burger. Thing never even gets warm it just hums along, and we even double grind our burger. Things absolutely amazing.

I know this because my aunt set up a small home buisness that does desserts and she bought everything used at significantly reduced costs from buisnesses that didn't make it. By the way her's is doing fine.​

Last edited:
If you do some searches on YouTube, you can find videos of people skinning with the golf-ball method. It will show you a little better detail of how far down to skin the cape before tying in the golf-ball, and where to make cuts on the shanks/elbows of the animal so the hide doesn't get hung up on the legs. It's a real time-saver method, and it absolutely keeps hair off the meat.

If only I could find a shortcut like that for scalding/plucking birds! We're doing turkeys in a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom