Butcher

chickenlady2010

Chirping
Apr 21, 2017
Ok, so we have 20 chickens, and three of these are roosters. The buff's were hatched April 2nd. I am unsure of what day the leghorns were hatched, but they're all close in age. We have 2 leghorn roosters and the 3rd is a buff. My question is, when do we butcher and eat the 2nd leghorn rooster?

Our buff actually got grabbed on the wing by our dog and survived. However, he is now at the bottom of the pecking order. The other chickens have been pecking at his bad wing and have kept the wound open. But I have been letting the chickens out daily to roam while the dog is kenneled, and his wound is healing up quite nicely. You think he'll still be able to "perform" (and be allowed to do so by the hens) once he's healed?

The leghorn we plan to butcher has a limp (have no idea how that happened) which has gotten better, but he doesn't seem to let it stop him from chasing kiddos. The other rooster seems to be at the top of the pecking order, so we figured he is the leghorn we need to keep, but maybe that doesn't matter?

Typically cockerels are harvested between 10 and 14 weeks (fryer), or up to six months (roaster). Older=tougher At 24 weeks (stewer) they are really flavorful and good for low and slow recipes such as chicken and dumplings. Also be sure to rest them in the fridge for 24-48 hours after harvest before cooking or freezing. LH will probably give you a 2-4 pound carcass weight, probably closer to the 2 side.

I slaughter cockerels at 13-16 weeks, before they start causing chaos and while still tender enough to grill for that crispy skinned deliciousness. Not much meat but the grilled bones make for some excellent stock. Anything older than that I pressure cook until meat is done as saved aside then a couple more hours to get that bone broth.

Resting the cleaned carcass in fridge for 48-72 hours for rigor to pass is essential for chewable meat from any bird(except maybe CX?). Tho no homegrown bird I've eaten, layer or meat breed, is as soft as a grocery bird, they are more 'toothsome'.

Thanks. Husband was wanting to fry him. That's the only way he'll eat chicken, and I don't like chicken at all. I'm a beef kind of lady! :)

We allow our cockerels to grow out to about 5lbs live weight (we've got RIRs & BSL of our breeding), I don't worry about age yet (I'm working on getting size quicker with breeding projects for fun, nothing too serious or I would change out from hatchery stock and start over with larger, better quality birds). Mostly, I end up slaughtering at about 16-20wks.

With that being said, we typically don't fry. We bake, grill, or slow cook. A 20wk old bird on the grill is surprisingly tender and very flavorful especially with the following marinade.

http://www.food.com/recipe/armenian-herb-marinade-grilled-chicken-breasts-137262

As was mentioned before, make sure you give it time to set and go through rigor.

Back
Top Bottom