Butchering shortcut?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by yyz0yyz0, Nov 3, 2016.

1. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of or tried this butchering shortcut.

I was watching one of the Survival shows recently(I think it was Dual Survival) and they caught a game bird. they demonstrated a butchering shortcut that looked interesting.

After the bird was dispatched, they laid the bird on the ground on it's back. They then put their feet on each wing at the shoulder and grabbed the feet and pulled. What happened next was pretty surprising so I'm not even sure if it was real or staged.
    As they pulled, the wings and most of the innards and skin appeared to come right off and they were left with the main part of the carcass attached to the legs.

when I butcher my old layers I skin them and just cut off the wings anyway so I'm interested in the method if it really works. I'm going to try it this weekend when I cull some of my old layers. I'll post back and let you all know if it worked as I saw.

2. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    i can tell you it works with game birds, that's how we clean sharp tail grouse. not sure if it works with older birds i know it does not work with ducks or geese i believe,

3. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    It definitely works! We used to do it with partridge also. I hadn't thought about trying it with a chicken though.

4. Bigshooter

Bigshooter Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    Washington
    Done this with grouse many times. Not sure how it would work with a chicken.

5. crobbins2009

crobbins2009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    I'm curious -- Did you try it with your old layers.... did it work?!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How do the guts come out without cutting something some where like around the vent.
    Would like to see [email protected] ...link to the show episode?.... and did you try it with layers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by