Butchering using a knife to the brain

Last edited:
Also it was my first time using a cone (made by my husband) and then plucking and eviscerating the chickens while suspended. It really sped up the process.

Thank you AudieWarren for sharing this with us. Did you use a knife to the carotid artery before or after pithing? How difficult was it to insert the knife inside the mouth if you cut the artery after? I am not sure if I can do the pithing if I have to try and force the chicken's mouth open first.

Thank you AudieWarren for sharing this with us. Did you use a knife to the carotid artery before or after pithing? How difficult was it to insert the knife inside the mouth if you cut the artery after? I am not sure if I can do the pithing if I have to try and force the chicken's mouth open first.
Chicken in cone... Slice artery then pith. Very easy to do. It really only takes seconds. I'll find the video I watched before doing it

Chicken in cone... Slice artery then pith. Very easy to do. It really only takes seconds. I'll find the video I watched before doing it
OK that I can do. I've seen videos of a cut to the carotid first and the chicken automatically opens its mouth then a quick thrust up to the brain...however the instructions are usually thrust first carotid second and I was thinking how do I open the chicken's mouth ..

If you had no problems with plucking, it's obviously working.

Thanks again.

I wanted to share my pithing experience today. It will be the only way I process my birds from now on. Plucking was easier, death was quicker. Over all a way better experience.

Did you scald then pluck? Supposedly if done just right the feathers can be plucked without scalding. That would be awesome! From what I've read, to hit the right spot one should draw an imaginary line from where the beak hinges to the back corner of the eye, and that's the path you want to take.
Did you use a knife? How much pressure was required to do the deed? I'd love to try this, just nervous about getting it right and not causing any unnecessary suffering. I wonder if a small animal bolt gun would work, or do you have to go through the roof of the mouth?
I also wonder if it works with turkeys as well, they are such a pain to pluck!

Did you scald then pluck? Supposedly if done just right the feathers can be plucked without scalding. That would be awesome! From what I've read, to hit the right spot one should draw an imaginary line from where the beak hinges to the back corner of the eye, and that's the path you want to take.
Did you use a knife? How much pressure was required to do the deed? I'd love to try this, just nervous about getting it right and not causing any unnecessary suffering. I wonder if a small animal bolt gun would work, or do you have to go through the roof of the mouth?
I also wonder if it works with turkeys as well, they are such a pain to pluck!
We scalded just to be sure and speed up the process...We have 3 young kids, so faster is better. Really didn't need to pluck the feathers. They literally rubbed off. It didn't take much pressure and you can feel the bird go limp once you hit the spot. They still have the last minute jerks, but in the cone they are secure. Used a knife. It's our trusty fillet knife... We use it for, chicken, and deer. I think the same process would work for turkeys. Haven't done one yet, but I don't see why it would be different.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom